Still Can't Decide Which Crappy Car to Buy?

I posted this question a couple days ago but am redoing with more info. Still trying to decide and I need to know within 4 hours. Can't make it to a mechanic and my car-knowledgeable friends are unavailable.

For reasons that are way too complex to get into now, I have to choose between the following two cars to get me through the next 5 months until I can afford a newer one. Opinions are greatly appreciated.

Car 1: 1996 Chrysler LHS, 120,000 miles on it. Newer tires, good battery, history of nickel-and-dime problems. Paint job faded out and oxidized but no serious body damage or prior accidents. Previous owner was a little careless with letting oil changes go too far and ran out of gas once or twice. Driver side front tire squealing loudly, probably needs new brakes and is 100 miles overdue for an oil change.

Car 2: 1996 Cadillac DeVille, 204,000 miles on it. Some body damage near gas cap, small crack in windshield that won't expand, driver window won't roll up and radio speakers crackle. However, the engine is in fine shape, it's a Northstar V8. Tinted windows, advanced message system on dash. Some oil leakage is visible under where car is parked. It's leaked about a quart in the past month. New brake pads. Crappy tires.

The Caddy runs really smoothly and I really like this car, except the oil leak bothers me.

Cost difference is negligible,

Please please help motorheads out there!!! :)

I basically already own one of these cars, I just have to decide which one. Complicated situation, can't really get into it, but I just want opinions as to which is the better bet just to make it through a few months of winter weather. Thanx

sorry I meant driver window won't roll down.

The windshield crack begins and ends at the bottom of the windshield so doesn't that mean it probably won't spread?

Best Answer

Let's break it down shall we...

1. Chrysler LHS - Very nice looking car. Parts are easy to find for it since it and several other Chrysler's used the exact same parts. Has some upgrades - tires, battery. Paint fading.... Not a big issue since you only want it to get you from point a to point b reliably. Oil changes aren't what they used to be, don't believe that "3 months or 3K miles" crap, cars can go longer. Look it up if ya don't believe me. Running out of gas has ZERO effect on a car, if it did none of mine would be running LOL Front wheel squeal hmmm.... could be the brakes or the bearings... either way that would need to be fixed ASAP!

2. Cadillac DeVille - Higer mileage than the Chrysler but I don't consider high mileage to be much of a factor. If the car has been well cared for it could have 500K miles on it and still work just fine. Body damage seems insignificant but hard to say since I can't see it. Drivers window won't roll down - Could be an easy fix or something expensive but if you can live with it who cares? Winshield crack - Unless your state has soem laws about it again who cares?. Speakers crackling - who cares won't affect the cars driveability. Northstar V-8 - Yes it's a nice piece of machinery BUT I've heard that they give out after 100K miles. Now is it true?? I don't know I've never owned one or known anybody that has so that's a judgement call. Oil leak - *DING* Very concerning. You should be absolutely certain where that oil is coming from before you even think of buy this car. Depending on where it's coming from will determine how much you spend to get it fixed and you better fix it quick or you might not be driving it long!!! New brakes - Good Crap tires - BAD! The prices of tires has been going up (I work for a tire company) but you could get some used ones cheap if you know how to shop.

Bottom line: I'd buy the Chrylser!

I'm not a motorhead but here you go: you like the Caddy so buy that.

I had a car that burned oil like a ... like a real oil-burner. It wasn't a problem; I kept a quart in the garage and checked it regularly.

But where are you located? Can you really drive it through the winter without getting the window fixed?

Also, you don't know the windshield crack won't expand. That can happen overnight.

The problem on the other car is the brakes need fixing. These cars are CHEAP (I hope) so you don't need that $ hassle right at the start. And brakes are nothing to fool around with.

Good luck.

• ronnny

1 and put new brake pads on the front. do not worry about turning the rotors if not keeping it for years. The speakers in the other car is signs someone had the radio turned up cruising indicating lots of city miles. Look at the belts and hoses, filter element and such to see how car one was took car of though. Look to see if the oilpan on the motor look crudy from a leak. If the brake pedal has lots of wear it indicates more city and less highway miles. Smell the oil and tranny fluid for a burnt smell. If it has one it indicates a problem. Look at the antifreeze to see that there is no signs of oil in it. See when it had emmisions done last if your area requires it. this will just give you a lot better idea.

rd

Source(s): In cold weather and hot air from the defroster you never know with the windshield. Just seems like if you got the caddy you would have to do more regular checks and that it has been used rufer than the other.

It sounds to me like the 'Lac has been better cared for. Tires aren't that much compared to suspension repairs that the Mopar might need ("squeaking tire"). If you can fix the window motor or switch yourself or know a friend that can do it for cheap, great, otherwise welcome to the wonderful world of crap-that-breaks--err, luxury. Crackling speakers might be the speakers themselves, but I wonder: If it's a wiring problem could it be related to the window? Is anyone out there more familiar w/ Cadillac electrics? BTW definitely get the windshield stop-cracked before the crack spreads. I don't know what part of the world you're in, but if you're up north and it's a frozen winter morning and you crank up the defroster, the temperature gradient could cause the glass to crack, and windshields can Co$t.

• Paula

I think there is a lot more to the story than you are telling, you are only telling your side. Your parents are not obligated to buy you a vehicle. You chose to not work and spend the money you saved for gas. You could have bought a car (even a cheap one) or you could have used it as a down payment. I'm sorry, but you sound like a typical child that thinks they should be handed everything. Too bad they were late picking you up. Beggers can't be chosers and there is always public transportation or walking. My parents bought me a car at 16, I totaled it. They didn't buy me a car ever again. I had to take the bus and walk the remaining 12 blocks to work because the bus didn't take me to my job. My mother wasn't going to drive me to and from work, she especially wasn't going to pick up because I didn't get out until 11pm. She worked and I had to deal with it. I finally got to the point where I realized that she didn't owe me a thing and there were many times I would walk home from work which was about 3 miles because I didn't want to burden my grandfather with picking me up. I've walked in snow with freezing temps because I had no choice. I wanted to keep my job so I could afford a vehicle. Guess who's 27 now and owns 2 vehicles... yep me... it builds character and ethic...

Cadillac will cost more to repair. The Chrysler seems better since it has 80,000 less miles on it. I don't know though, 100k without an oil change is pretty bad.. maybe you should just keep looking.

Car #1 -- It may not look as nice, but it is a better car with half the miles. This is not a tough decision.

But please don't be in too much of a hurry to get it inspected by a mechanic.

Go with the Chrysler due to the difference in miles. 204000 is an awful lot of miles.

i would get the first one. they both seem to not be very relieble cars, especially the caddy. the V8 just means that there are 4 more cylinders to go wrong more than the Chrystler.

CHADo