promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

It is true that all stars studied and researched are part of the Milky Way galaxy?

I mean, there are many billions of galaxies in the visible universe.

So far, have astronomers studied and observed stars that are all within our own galaxy the Milky Way?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

astronomers have studied stars in other galaxies. i've seen star clusters and nebulae in other galaxies myself.

the first important results in this area were when edwin hubble was able to resolve cepheid variables in some nearby galaxies, producing the first decent distance numbers for them.

Source(s): common knowledge
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

i'm incredibly confident the respond is a hundred%. the reason i'm no longer thoroughly confident is as a results of the fact I even have in no way seen the Magellanic Clouds with my very own eyes. they're satellite tv for pc galaxies some hundred thousand mild years away which you ought to have the ability to make certain some man or woman stars with an extremely solid telescope. as a techniques because of the fact the unaided eye is going, i could wager that they only look like fuzzy clouds (subsequently the call). What i'm confident approximately is that only approximately each enormous call which you are going to discover with the bare eye represents a tiny fraction of our host galaxy, below a million% of the entire stars interior the Milky way.

• eri
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Not all of them, but the majority. Some stars that we observe come from halfway across the universe, or even further - although to be fair, we only see them when they die (supernova or gamma ray burst). Otherwise, they're too faint. Some stars are also studied from the dwarf galaxies orbiting the Milky Way - the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds.

• 1 decade ago

Yes and no. It depends on how you define "studied."

The initial determination that Andromeda was a galaxy 2,000,000 light years away was through the analysis of light from some of its stars. There were Cepheid variables within in Andromeda.

Cepheid variables vary in their light output at a rate that is linked to their absolute luminosity. If we know the absolute luminosity of a star and we measure the luminosity we see with out telescopes then the distance to the star can be determined.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Gnomon
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Mostly, but not quite.

Quite a few stars in nearby galaxies such as the Large Magellanic Cloud have been studied in detail, particularly the Supernova SN 1987A.

• GeoffG
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

No. Many stars in other galaxies have been studied too, particularly Cepheid variables, which are used to calculate the distances of globular clusters and galaxies.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.