Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 1 decade ago

Help - I want to upgrade (add memory/speed) my HPDC7100SFF.?

I'm new to this, and don't know whether to add RAM or storage space. I want my computer faster and also more storage space, is there a website out there for new people out there that know nothing about computers and helps people upgrade? Any help would be appretiated. Thanks!

Also runs XP and Pentium 4, how do I know what I need - RAM/ROM etc.

Favorite Answer

Upgrading RAM will make your computer run porgrams faster and more efficiently, and is something you can do easily by yourself.

The first step is to find out what specific type of memory your computer will need. Search Google or Yahoo! for the specs on your model, or consult the owner's manual. An example of a computer's memory type would be: PC5300 DDR2 or PC2-5300 DDR2. Next, find the memory at your local electronics store or online. RAM memory cards are usually relatively inexpensive. You can opt for 256, 512 or 1024 megabytes. (1024mb is equal to one gigabyte) However, it is important that you do not buy more memory than your computer will support. (Max RAM should also be found in the owner's manual or on-line.) Most desktops max out around 2gb.

Now for the tough part: Once you have the RAM, you'll want to open the case of your computer's tower. Make sure the computer is turned OFF. Unplug it for additional safety. The motherboard, a flat plastic pannel with computer chips and electronic wiring should have two slots; most likely, only one slot will be holding a RAM card. Locate the two plastic latches on wither side of each slot, and gently ease them open. Insert your new RAM card into the empty slot, secure the latches, and close the tower's covering.

If the RAM is inserted correctly, and is compatible with your computer, you should be able ot log on. In the start menu, RIGHT CLICK on 'Computer.' The properties should be displayed, including your system's RAM.

Upgradingyour Harddrive should be done professionally; as one screw-up here can corrupt all your files and ruin your operating system.

If you have questions about upgrading the RAM, then please feel free to e-mail me at flyboy015@gmail.com. I would insist that you upgrade your Ram personally, as it will save much money.

Compaq Business Desktop dc7700 Small Form Factor

Maximum Memory » 4.0 GB

Expansion Slots » 4 sockets

CPU Information » Intel Core 2 Duo / Pentium D / Pentium 4 / Celeron D

Other Details » 533/800/1066MHz FSB, Intel Q965 Express Chipset

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N8...

definite, each and every now and then that is going to p.c. up gaining access to our classes, and booting up your computer, and dealing some classes besides. Your computer works with the memory very like you're able to with papers on your table. you are able to really extra wholesome a lot and once you want to get entry to extra papers, you want to bypass some away or round. So the further "table length" the further papers you may have out. The extra RAM the further archives you may have open, operating, and so on...

• -_-

Then buy both. RAM and Hard Drive.

The only thing is, what type of RAM is compatible with your motherboard, and what you're using right now.

This site might help scan your RAM-type

http://www.crucial.com/index.aspx?gclid=cllm762qjp...