What does it mean for the fda to make type i,ii,iii,and iv errors?

does anyone know?

• Bolt
    Favorite Answer

I only know of two errors the fda can make regarding the decision to approve a medication

- type I is that they approve it and it is harmful to people (easy to prove)

- type II is that they don't approve it when it would have helped people (difficult to prove)

It's kind of like being careful what you wish for:

I can't remember which drugs were involved now, but years ago, they were approved in europe but not in the us even after many, many studies had been done and doctos/patients lobbied for it and lost (reasonable to say that patients may have died as a rsult, so it would have been a type II error). There were some reforms in how the FDA conducts approvals and now drugs get approved much faster these days, with fewer studies, and some of those drugs (like Celebrex, I believe was one recently) have proved to be unsafe and patients have died (a type I error) and now people want the FDA to "be more careful".

If there are other types of errors, it wasn't covered in the article I read

Source(s): (Time magazine?)