Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 1 decade ago

How do rain sensors on some car work?

Favorite Answer

Automotive Sensors

A rain sensor for automatic wiping of the windshield of a Mercedes-Benz carIn 1958, the Cadillac Motor Car Division of General Motors experimented with a water-sensitive switch that triggered various electric motors to close the convertible top and raise the open windows of a specially-built Eldorado Biarritz model, in case of rain.

The first such device appears to have been used by General Motors, for that same purpose, in a concept vehicle designated "Le Sabre" and built seven years earlier, in 1950-51.

Rain sensors are now integrated in a system to automatically start the windscreen wipers (intelligent windscreen wipers).

The most common rain sensor implementation is based on the prinicple of total internal reflection: an infrared light is beamed at a 45-degree angle into the windshield from the inside near the lower edge — if the glass is wet, less light makes it back to the sensor, and the wipers turn on.

I think it has to do with the water/mist passing by light sensors embedded in the wipers.

If not, I'd be curious to know the answer to that one myself.

• hildy

LoL actual some human beings ignore they might desire to change wipers on .... it rather is a advertising gimmick tbh and encourages lazy drivers .....*seems up* sorry Rolsy making use of instructor factor of me popping out ......lost count extensive style how many circumstances i might take a seat there sayin do we seeeee something