"Lead, follow, or get out of the way" Who said it?

Who originally said this? Things I've found on the internet... A quote on Ted Turner's desk. General Patton said something which can be paraphrased as this. I found numerous references that Thomas Paine originally said it, but no reference to a specific book, letter, or time and place where he said it. ... show more Who originally said this?

Things I've found on the internet...

A quote on Ted Turner's desk.

General Patton said something which can be paraphrased as this.

I found numerous references that Thomas Paine originally said it, but no reference to a specific book, letter, or time and place where he said it. If it was Thomas Paine, does anybody know a more specific reference? Or is the Thomas Paine attribution incorrect?
Update: I just searched the entire text of all five of Thomas Paine's major works; Common Sense, The Crisis, The Rights of Man, and The Age of Reason, and Agrarian Justice... "lead, follow, or get out of the way" is not in any of those works. As far as I know, that's it for his books... maybe he wrote... show more I just searched the entire text of all five of Thomas Paine's major works; Common Sense, The Crisis, The Rights of Man, and The Age of Reason, and Agrarian Justice... "lead, follow, or get out of the way" is not in any of those works.

As far as I know, that's it for his books... maybe he wrote it in a letter to somebody? Letters were popular back then. But I'm guessing this is a massive urban legend. Everywhere you search in Google, you come up with hundreds of links that Thomas Paine said it, but nowhere in context of the actual text. Everywhere it does reference a place is incorrect, that I've seen.