Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

what does curious mean?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

adj.

1. Eager to learn more: curious investigators; a trapdoor that made me curious.

2. Unduly inquisitive; prying.

3. Arousing interest because of novelty or strangeness: a curious fact.

4. Archaic.

1. Accomplished with skill or ingenuity.

2. Extremely careful; scrupulous.

[Middle English, from Old French curios, from Latin cūriōsus, careful, inquisitive, from cūra, care. See cure.]

curiously cu'ri·ous·ly adv.

curiousness cu'ri·ous·ness n.

SYNONYMS curious, inquisitive, snoopy, nosy. These adjectives apply to persons who show a marked desire for information or knowledge. Curious most often implies an avid desire to know or learn, though it can suggest prying: A curious child is a teacher's delight. A curious neighbor can be a nuisance. Inquisitive frequently suggests excessive curiosity and the asking of many questions: “Remember, no revolvers. The police are, I believe, proverbially inquisitive” (Lord Dunsany). Snoopy suggests underhanded prying: The snoopy hotel detective spied on guests in the lobby. Nosy implies impertinent curiosity likened to that of an animal using its nose to examine or probe: My nosy colleague went through my mail. See also synonyms at strange.

Thesaurus: curious

adjective

1. Eager to acquire knowledge: inquiring, inquisitive, investigative, questioning. See investigate.

2. Unduly interested in the affairs of others: inquisitive, inquisitorial. Informal nosy, snoopy. See investigate.

3. Causing puzzlement; perplexing: funny, odd, peculiar, queer, strange, weird. See usual/unusual.

4. Deviating from the customary: bizarre, cranky, eccentric, erratic, freakish, idiosyncratic, odd, outlandish, peculiar, quaint, queer, quirky, singular, strange, unnatural, unusual, weird. Slang kooky, screwball. British Slang rum, rummy. See usual/unusual.

Antonyms: curious

adj

Definition: desiring knowledge, understanding

Antonyms: disinterested, incurious, indifferent, uninterested

adj

Definition: very odd

Antonyms: average, normal, ordinary, usual

Eager to learn or find out. Also: odd.

An idea is a curious thing. It will not work unless you do. — Hannah Whitall Smith (1833-1911).

Curiosity may refer as a noun to a novel item or phenomenon kept as an attraction to the interest of the public; it is so named because it is intended to engender curiosity in its viewers. Curious or curiosity may also refer to:

* Curiosity - From the English word "Curious". Is "any natural inquisitive behaviour".

* Curiosity (Band) - is a Chicago-area band.

* Curious (fragrance) - Women's fragrance from Elizabeth Arden, endorsed by Britney Spears.

• rowan
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Curious Meaning

• ?
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what does curious mean?

Source(s): curious: https://shorturl.im/SlBqe
  • 1 decade ago

Simply it means you are real excited to know about something about

Like ,,

I am curious to know about my marks

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It means "inquisitive; tending to ask questions, investigate, or explore; unusual; odd; out of the ordinary; bizarre ."

For future reference. If you want to define a word but don't want to go sifting through a dictionary, a very easy way to do it is to go to Google and type in define: *insert word* for example, if I wanted to know the definition of "outstanding" I'd type define: outstanding and google will give you the top definitions for it on the web. It's generally 90% accurate.

Source(s): I'm an English teacher.
  • 6 years ago

that mean u like to know someone or something that make u curious

• 1 decade ago

Like..

"You want to know something"

• 7 years ago

stupid

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

curiousity meaning? please tell

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.