Isn't there a difference between being racist and recognizing cultural differences?

To be more specific, I am not racist or at least I don't consider myself to be. I generally do not speak in a hateful way towards anyone simply based on their race. However, I can and do recognize certain cultural points that tend to follow a persons race. Obviously these are generalities and cannot be used to... show more To be more specific, I am not racist or at least I don't consider myself to be. I generally do not speak in a hateful way towards anyone simply based on their race.

However, I can and do recognize certain cultural points that tend to follow a persons race. Obviously these are generalities and cannot be used to paint an accurate picture of an entire race.

I have heard some people make an allusion to a race of people using a generality...which I think makes sense...only to have someone else come along and ask what the persons skin color has to do with anything. If culture follows race a majority of the time...then is it wrong to associate culture with race and then comment on it?

Obviously any comment you make has to leave room for error since as I said before you cannot use generalities to make valid, 100% provable points...but aren't generalities sufficient to discuss Cultural and Racial differences so long as those guidelines are met?

If you have ever heard,"That Black guy acts like a White guy." or "That White guy acts like a Black guy." then you have some idea what I am talking about...unless you were totally confused when you heard these statements.

My question is...how do you all feel about it? Aren't there cultural differences that are primarily based on race and location? If there are, shouldn't it be socially acceptable to comment on culture in both a positive and negative light?
Update: EDIT: Chance, I like what you are saying and I agree with you to a point. But didn't I associate Race with Location in my original question? I'm talking about localized conversations that common people are likely to have with each other. Not Global conversations that people in an Anthropology... show more EDIT: Chance, I like what you are saying and I agree with you to a point.

But didn't I associate Race with Location in my original question?

I'm talking about localized conversations that common people are likely to have with each other. Not Global conversations that people in an Anthropology class are likely to have with each other.

I'm assuming that when people mention a Race it is in relation to their own experience, their own experience being relative to the location they are in.

Of course the early settlers had positive and negative views of the Indians around them based on their interactions with them. To say that all Indians were peaceful or they were all warmongers would be innaccurate. But to say that the Indians around your area might "generally" be one way or another might be...see the difference?

See how I used the word Indians in a localized conversation with you knowing, hoping, that you wouldn't confuse my meaning with Indians from India?
Update 2: EDIT2: Nope, I didn't associate the 3 things...Race, Location and Culture. That is an important point and I agree.

I hope I clarified my point in my last edit.
Update 3: EDIT3: Jay I am white and I do suck at sports...so in this case you would be right. I also can't dance to save my life...that is a common white guy stereotype. Am I mad that the common stereotype is accurate...or that you pointed it out? No, absolutely not. I can understand that people may not... show more EDIT3:

Jay

I am white and I do suck at sports...so in this case you would be right. I also can't dance to save my life...that is a common white guy stereotype. Am I mad that the common stereotype is accurate...or that you pointed it out? No, absolutely not.

I can understand that people may not like to be stereotyped, but stereotypes exist because to a certain extent they are true when localized to certain regions.