Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous

My years long question about PETA?

I am all for animal rights, like household pets, endangered species etc... But eating meat is another issue, I have noticed that that in many articles, programs etc. PETA makes it out to be a terrible, terrible sin. If you want to be vegetarian so be it, I admire people who can have that much fervor and dedication, but I like the many people in America need meat. I just cant stand they way they try to pass laws and try to make everyone believe in what they do. So please someone clarify this for me, if you have other beliefs, please tell me I like to keep myself well informed. Otherwise, to me PETA is just like another crazy extreme religion.

I have to say I agree with both of you (Queen of the World) and (Into the Night), you actually named more points about this, thank you very much. I cant wait to hear more

Wendy, you also make good points, and you have an opinion about the meat that I find truthful. Thank you for not being offensive or extreme about it!

food fanatic, those are great sources, i knew the founder was bad but not to that extreme. and Chesnut i love that saying...lol

Favorite Answer

I agree with you. Peta is a really radical fringe group. Peta doesn't condemn the more "violent" animal rights groups such as Animal Liberation Front (ALF), which is on FBI's list of domestic terrorist groups.

IMO Peta is loony. Google Peta's leaders and founders, read the quotes they have given about "animal rights".

I'll include a few:

"We are not in the home finding business, although it is certainly true that we do find homes from time to time for the kind of animals people are looking for. Our service is to provide a peaceful and painless death to animals who no one wants."

-- Ingrid Newkirk, President, PeTA, The Virginian-Pilot, July 20, 2005

"Damaging the enemy financially is fair game."

-- Alex Pacheco, animal rights radical, PeTA co-founder and one of its original 3 board members, Washington City Paper, December 18, 1987

"Humans have grown like a cancer. We're the biggest blight on the face of the earth."

-- Ingrid Newkirk, PeTA's founder, president and former national director, Readers Digest, June 1990 Biomedical Research

"Probably everything we do is a publicity stunt... we are not here to gather members, to please, to placate, to make friends. We're here to hold the radical line."

-- Ingrid Newkirk, PeTA's president and founder, USA Today, September 3, 1991 Animal Welfare vs. Animal Rights

"I will be the last person to condemn ALF (Animal Liberation Front)."

-- Ingrid Newkirk, PeTA's president and founder, The New York Daily News, December 7, 1997

"If we really believe that animals have the same right to be free from pain and suffering at our hands, then, of course, we're going to be blowing things up and smashing windows. For the record, I don't do this stuff, but I advocate it. I think it's a great way to bring about animal liberation, considering the level of suffering, the atrocities."

-- Bruce Friedrich, PeTA's director of Vegan Outreach, Animal Rights Conference, 2001

"I'm not only uninterested in having children. I am opposed to having children. Having a purebred human baby is like having a purebred dog; it is nothing but vanity, human vanity."

-- Ingrid Newkirk, PeTA's founder and president, New Yorker magazine, April 23, 2003

"We are complete press sluts."

-- Ingrid Newkirk, PeTA's president and founder, The New Yorker, April 14, 2003

PETA is an ineffective group. They fight battles over crap like people wearing fur and leather. They do nothing to address real issues, such as the production of veal. And eating meat does not necessarily mean that the animal suffered. There are many responsible farmers who treat their animals with nothing but dignity until they are slaughtered. You are right in believing that eating meat does not mean you are cruel to animals. But you should always make sure the you are eating cage-free eggs and chicken, free range, hormone free, grass fed beef and fish from only sustainable sources. There are many resources on the web that can help you adopt better eating habits.

I am vegan but do not agree w/ PETA or their tactics. They are way to extreme. Throwing red paint on people who are wearing fur coats and crashing runway shows because they do not agree w/ the material being used is over the top. There are more ways you can get people interested in your cuase/purpose w/o throwing things at them and crashing their parties. The president of PETA supports a group whose sole mission is blowing up labs where animals are used for testing. PETA is almost a terrorist group.

I agree. I'm for animal rights, but I think PETA takes things too far in their actions. I once read in the paper that they were planning to send some of their members scuba diving in lakes to prevent people from fishing there. I figure if they're dumb enough to deliberately swim where I'm fishing and they get hooked, it's their own fault.

PETA? You mean People for the Eating of Tasty Animals?