Beginner motorcycle for large guy?

I'm trying convince my wife of the mpg advantages of a motorcycle over my 20mpg sports car. I'm 6'4" 240lb male that travels 50+ miles one way to work, 90% interstate travel. I was looking at some 250cc bikes, like the Ninja and Rebel. I like the 250's because they are recommended for beginners , get great gas... show more I'm trying convince my wife of the mpg advantages of a motorcycle over my 20mpg sports car.
I'm 6'4" 240lb male that travels 50+ miles one way to work, 90% interstate travel. I was looking at some 250cc bikes, like the Ninja and Rebel. I like the 250's because they are recommended for beginners , get great gas milage, and are within my budget. Is 250 too small for my needs?

Thanks
Update: Thanks for the answers, I am now looking at some 600's instead. I'm still sold on the economic reasoning for riding a bike (although I still want one for a hoby, but it makes a great wife excuse). Right now i'm spending $480/mo on my fuel alone for a car that gets about 18 - 20 mpg. I hate owing money... show more Thanks for the answers, I am now looking at some 600's instead. I'm still sold on the economic reasoning for riding a bike (although I still want one for a hoby, but it makes a great wife excuse). Right now i'm spending $480/mo on my fuel alone for a car that gets about 18 - 20 mpg. I hate owing money (all my vehicles are paid for/ Dave Ramsey fan). I figured i could drop my gas bill to around $160 - $250/mo. Ps i'm about to break the 30yrs mark.