Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

I need to burn some documents in the kitchen sink-will the fire damage the sink?

24 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No one should EVER, EVER light fires in their sink!!! Whoever said that is dead wrong. All you need is one piece of burning ash to fly up out of that sink to start a fire. Get a cross cut shredder. They are not expensive. A crosscut shredder shreds paper in tiny little pieces, not in strips that could possibly be put together. Again, DO NOT start fires in your sink!!!!!!!! Any office supply place carries them. Wal*mart probably carries them.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I can understand your concern of the fire spreading but why on earth do you want to burn paper in the sink. It would undoubtedly mark and ruin the sink enamel or metal. Use a proper enclosed incinerator to burn the paper or just a bonfire in the garden.

• 1 decade ago

Buy a shredder. If you have a garden, you can then compost or bury the shreddings if you are worried about security.

I would not burn anything in the sink.

• 1 decade ago

Stop being so cheap. Buy a shredder. Not only could your house stink for weeks but your house could burn down if the fire gets to big and spreads or you can get burnt.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

There may be some superficial damage to the sink depending on the intensity of the blaze however if you need to then you need to.I say go for it.

• 1 decade ago

check the distance of the drapes/window covering to the sink. Also, watch for flying embers. When you watch fires on the TV, the issue is not always the base fire, the fire spreads from floating embers.

• 1 decade ago

Oh yes, it'll be absolutely fine. In fact put some lighter fluid on the paper to really get it going. Remember to stand well back when you light it. Turn the gas on as well at the cooker for added efficiency.

Good luck.

Source(s): former health & safety officer, Bhopal Chemical Works, India.
  • 1 decade ago

Burn them in an outdoor grill, hibachi or barbecue if you don't have one ask a friend or family member if you could use theirs. If they are not large tear them up and flush them down the toilet or cut them up and mix them in the kitty litter when you dump it, if you have a cat. I cut up credit cards and the like (numbers/dates etc.) and dispose of them a few at a time in the trash. It's hard for people to make much out of a puzzle when they have only a few unrelated pieces.

Source(s): Note: Some sinks are combustable.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Everyone seems to think you can afford a shredder.

The answer is, take the documents to the library, or the local council offices.

Somewhere the public has access to.

Ask the people nicely, that because of your circumstances, would they please shred the papers?

• 1 decade ago

Just buy yourself a shredder , don't play with fire it can go out of control in a matter of seconds.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.