Whats a good hunting knife to buy?

I know some people are very against hunting so If you are please don't leave me any rude comments. My boyfriend Is an avid hunter and his birthday Is coming up, I was wondering where I could buy him a nice functional knife that would look good and work good In the field as well. I'm willing to spend some money on it so thats not to much of an issue. Can you get the blades inscribed??

Best Answer

There are lots of good ones out there. A knife with a gut hook is helpful (not necessary, but handy in field dressing larger animals). Here are some links to some good ones. A jeweler could no doubt engrave them for a fee, and the site I'm listing might do the engraving for you.

Cold Steel

http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eCommerce/produc...

Knives of Alaska

Boker

BTW - nice gift idea. Your boyfriend will be very happy.

Buck makes some very good knives at a very competative price. When selecting a knife, look for something with what is called "belly". that is the curve of the cutting side of the blade as it nears the tip. A good bit of belly makes the knife better for skinning. Do not get a blade that is too long. A blade of 4 to 5 inches in length is ideal for deer size game animals. Look for a knife that has a slip resistant handle material such as Kryton. Kryton will resist getting slippery when it is wet with blood.

Some examples of Buck knives that I think are excellent chioces are "the Skinner" at $78, "the Vanguard" at $86, "the Gen 5 Skinner" at $88 or if you are wanting to spend a considerable bit more, you can get a hand crafted "Gen 5 Guitar" for a mere $420. I also like a folding knife for a hunting knife and "the 55" at $54 is a good choice. All of the prices are Manufacturers suggested retail. You can often find them at lesser prices if you shop around at places like Wal-Mart.

One brand of knife that I like is Cold Steel. They have one hunting knife that I really like and it is the"Master Hunter" Not a pretty knife but one that is all business. An excellent knife. Another of their knives that is really nice is the Pendleton Hunter.

One bit of advice, do not get a knife with a gut hook. they seem like a good idea but are hard to sharpen properly and soon are not used but are still in the way.

While I have several knives I always take hunting, the best of the lot is the Cold Steel Master Hunter with the carbon v blade. It hold an edge longer, and is easier to maintain. The handle is made of Krayton rubber, so that your hand will not slip even when wet or bloody from cleaning game. I dont care for the gut hook model.

I own Bucks, and even a custom hand made skinner by Nolen Knives., and they are good, but this is the go to knife.

I have a Kershaw that I have had for 20 years and it still holds an edge for many skinnings. The thing to decide is what type of knife you need and what you will be doing with it. If you are talking about a rigid blade design then you want to look for something with a very high carbon content. (Carbon in the steel makes it hard, it will hold an edge longer than a low carbon blade but it takes longer to sharpen) Also look for a blade that has some Molybdenum content, this takes the brittleness out of the carbon, without decreasing the strength and hardness (so the blade is less likely to chip or snap). If you are looking at a stainless steel blade, make sure that it is made out of surgical grade stainless. If the knife maker doesn't have a listing of the type of steel then odds are it is crap.

Can;t go wrong with a Buck 110, It's all I have ever used I still have my first wood handled one from back when I started my hunting career. I also have the new version with the Kryton handle, that's the one I carry in the field. for the slip factor. But Buck knives with proper sharpening techniques stay sharper longer than any other knives I have used.

Winchester, Buck, Remington, even Wustoff Trident make really good hunting knives. And yes you can inscibe anything you want onto metal.

Best thing to look for is not price, but application, some will have serrated edges on the back to help cut through bone, some don't.

Your a woman, beat around the bush and see if he has a knife that he like and has his mind on wanting to have.

-L

• Irv S

Schrade: Look at the Uncle Henry Sharpfinger Great skinner!

I'm quite partial to cold steel brand of knive, though fallkniven are very nice also. as far as getting them inscribed goes, probably not from the company, but i'm sure you can find someone locally to do that for you if you are set on it

Schrade Brand Knife.* Inscribed would be put on the handle, rather than the blade.*~~

Source(s): Run like a Deer.*..............Fly like an Eagle.*~~

Hi Nikki!

I'd go with a Knives of Alaska (www.knivesofalaska.com) available at Cabelas (www.cabelas.com or .ca) or Strider knives.

You can get knives engraved at the mall engravers.

Good luck!