What other technical jobs are in the navy besides Nuke?

I recently joined the Navy DEP, I got an 85 on the ASVAB and my recruiter suggested that I switch to nuke, probably for reasons of his own self gain. What I would like to know is, what other jobs are out there with a score of 85? And how do I go about changing it with my recruiter?

Oh I also forgot to mention that I already took the nuke AFQT, and signed the contract with guaranteed bonuses. Am I eligible to become an Intelligence Specialist (IS) and what are possible careers when I'm outside the Navy?

• Mike W
    Best Answer

ET Electronics Technician

IT Information Systems Technician

FC Fire Controlman

FT Fire Control Technician (Ballistic Missile Submarines)

MT Missile Technician

STG Sonar Technician (Surface)

STS Sonar Technician (Submarines)

CTN Cryptologic Technician Networks

CTT Cryptologic Technician Technical

AE Aviation Electronics Technician

AE Aviation Electrician's Mate

CE Construction Electrician

• Chef

With a score of 85, I am sure you qualify for anything. I had a score of 87 and the Coast Guard recruiter was basically camping out in my front yard. The recruiter is trying to fit you into the areas needed most.

There is electronics, electrician, communications, mechanics, computer tech, whatever. I don't know all the new ratings in the navy. But you should have a brochure somewhere or you can find it on a web site.

Until you sign the dotted line, you have all the power. Just promise yourself one thing. Don't sign until you give yourself a day to think about it. If the recruiter tries to get you to sign in the office, say "I need to think it over for a day or so."

Your recruiter should have given you a list of jobs available to you. And since you scored very well on your ASVAB, you can take your time and choose what field you would be most comfortable doing. Also, keep in mind that in the future if you decide you do not want to make a career out of the Navy, choose a field that you can make a good living from.

• John R

first off to go to nuke school you have to have a basic job and unless they have changed nukes come from three. 2 of my friens ended up as MM (michenest mates) one was a nuke on a surface ship the other a nuke on a sub. Myself I ended up an STG and have never been sorry with the choice. STS and STG combine into just ST at the E9 level

Let your recruiter see you coming out of the Air Force recruiter's station and see how fast he starts to show you alternatives to Nuclear Power. Just don't get bent out of shape when you see how much faster the NUCs make rate than you do.

Go back to the recruiter and ask to see a list jobs in the tech field and have him explain them to you. Don't let him push you into something you don't want to do. It's your military career, not his.

Networking

Avionics

electronics

if you can be a nuke than you can be anything.

I, myself am an I.T (information systems technician)

oh its nice... just deal with computers all day and make sure everythings up to date and secure

Source(s): U.S Navy

Firecontrolmen...you work on radars and missles you get the electronics, the computer skills and you get to shoot missles. Great fun.