Please help. Is it okay to text an apology? And how should people respond to an apology?

I texted my husband: I dont want us 2 go thru the day upset with each other. Im sorry.

He responded: ok

What do you think of this exchange?

Favorite Answer

I think you should have called so he can hear that you are really sorry. and his response will let you know if he really accepts your apology

It's better than nothing, but it's not as meaningful as a phone call or a face to face apology.

I think it's nice that you wanted to apologize early so the day wouldn't be messed up - this is why I like to never go to bed on an unresolved argument. That was very considerate if you were unable to call, and sometimes my wife will e-mail me instead of talk if we can't talk for one reason or another.

I guess I would take the exchange in one of 3 ways:

First, he might accept your apology, but still be in a grumpy mood and thus the terse reply. He might just need time to process things, or there may be more to talk out than saying you're sorry.

Second, he might not accept the apology at all, or might not think a texted apology is as good as a real live one.

In response to the second part of your question, in general, people ought to accept an apology. I'd have at least texted back, "thank you for saying that", hopefully with an "I love you" somewhere. But it depends a little on the situation. Maybe he realized whatever happened was his fault, in which case he would have to make an apology instead of accepting it. Maybe you just cheated on him for the 17th time, and it's obvious there will be an 18th - I'm making up an extreme example just to make a point, but ANY situation in which the person apologizing isn't willing to change their behavior or make amends for it - that person shouldn't necessarily be forgiven or their apology accepted unless it's a minor offense.

Source(s): decades of being a husband

First it depends on what you are apologizing for.

Whether or not a text is okay probably has more to do with whether or not there is another way to contact him right now. Like, if he is at work, and can't talk, then its fine.

The response means one of two things, I think.

He is either

- still mad

-or-

- too busy to really get into it, but wanted to give you SOME kind of an answer

I'd just wait and see if maybe he calls you later in the day or texts you or how he acts when you get home.

you apologized and he's forgiven you. what's the problem? Texting is not a medium suited to long drawn out convos. it's short, quick and over.

face to face is always best for an apology. Anything else is better than nothing. In the future if you want more from him then give him more.

as to how someone should respond: they forgive you or they don't. If you don't like how they do it then that's on you not them.

My husband and I do it all the time if we fight before work. Of course a phone call at lunch wouldn't hurt things and make sure you officially make up when you get home, but I have always found that those little "I am sorry" exchanges help me get through those days a lot easier. At least now he knows that you are sorry and you know that he accepts.

It's always better face-to-face, that's how you know you're both actually sorry for what happened. If there's other ways of contacting eahc other, and you're texting each other, it's probably because one of you or both of you are still upset about the situation and don't wanna face the other face-to-face or on the telephone.

It's better than nothing. (And it always depends on how serious the upset was.)

But a phone call would be better.

And a face-to-face apology is always best. (It's just not the easiest.)

it's good, an apology is an apology. better NOT to call--then people can get too wordy and say things that start trouble again,

• *PJ*

Better than nothing, not as good as a face to face or phone call.

It's ok but I am more up close and personal and texting doesn't do it for me because it's more heart felt.