Can my landlord evict me for non payment on rent when we didn't pay b/c of poor maintenance?

We moved into these apartments in June of 2008..We noticed the first week we were there that it was nasty.. We paid rent for that month..We called several times and told them about everything that was needing fixed..Our bath tub wouldn't drain, it would be full by the time we got out of the shower. Our sink still... show more We moved into these apartments in June of 2008..We noticed the first week we were there that it was nasty.. We paid rent for that month..We called several times and told them about everything that was needing fixed..Our bath tub wouldn't drain, it would be full by the time we got out of the shower. Our sink still isn't fixed, it wont drain as well. We had to call the emergency number and make up a lie just to get them 2 fix our tub. Our carpet looks terrible, I am not sure if there is mold under it or not, but it is also moist all the time. We cant even walk bare foot in our own apartment without our feet turning black. I know for a fact that there is mold in all of our air conditioners because I seen it last night. I heard that 2 other tenants in the same building that we are in had to move to a different apartment because of mold.. They didn't come check our apartment for mold even after having two ppl move out because of it. I just found out yesterday about the mold. But we called and called to tell them these problems and they still did not come to fix them. So we didn't pay rent last month and now they have sent an eviction notice and we have a court date set on the 7 of this month. Is this legal?? Can we do anything about it??