Proverbs from Mesopotamia?

Jesus...more proverbs.

Help me understand them please, some I know the meaning but I want to make sure I'm right.

1.The Life of the day before yesterday is that of any day.

2.If the shoot is not right it will not produce the stalk nor create see

3. Will the ripe grain grow? How do we know? Will the dried grain grow? How do we know?

Thanks for all your help. :]

Favorite Answer

Solomon, king of Israel, was the son of David and Bathsheba. He ruled for forty years, from 970 to 930 B.C., and ascended the throne at approximately twenty years of age. :)LAS08

Undoubtedly, influenced by his father's custom of writing psalms, Solomon left us more books than any other Old Testament author, with the exception of Moses. It seems probably that his "Song of songs" was written when he was a young romantic; his Proverbs, at a mature age, when he was at the height of his power; and Ecclesiastes in his old age, when he felt more inclined to philosophic speculation. His strength didn't lie in his military gifts but in the field of reflection, meditation, the conception of great projects, negotiation and organization.

Solomon's reputation for wisdom wasn't born from the incidents in which he acted as judge, such as when he presented us with the anecdote of the two women who disputed over the baby (I Ki. 3:16-27), but from the references about him in the Scripture. In I Kings 3:12 GOD says, "There was none like thee before thee, neither after thee shall any arise like unto thee". In I Kings 4:31 he is called "wiser than all men", and the names of other wise men are cited to compare with him.

We know nothing of Agur and the king Lemuel (30:1; 31:1), except that they weren't Israelite by their names. Wisdom is universal, not exclusively a national legacy.

Date and Authorship:: (HBH)

I. The Proverbs of Solomon (1:1-24:34

II. Solomon's Proverbs as Copied by Hezekiah's Men (25:1-29:27

III. The Sayings of Agur (30:1-33)

IV. The Sayings of King Lemuel (30:1-31)

The text says that the above four works are respectively by Solomon, by Solomon as edited by Hezekiah's scribes, by Agur, and by Lemuel as learned from his mother. This means that the bulk of Proverbs (1-29) is essentially from Solomon. Even so, many modern scholars believe that these collections came together long after Solomon. Some believe that Proverbs was not written until over five hundred years after Solomon, although others would date the collections to the late monarchy, some three hundred years after Solomon.

But no hard evidence exists that forces us to abandon the Bible's assertion that Solomon wrote most of the book. Some have argued that passages like Proverbs 8 are too advanced in thought to have come from Solomon. Yet other advanced and complex works of wisdom literature that are far older than Solomon's day appear in ancient Near Eastern texts. In addition, we read in the Bible that Solomon's reign was something of a flowering of wisdom in ancient Israel and that Solomon was at the head of its study (I Kings 10:1-9). That being the case, it is not strange that the greatest Israelite wisdom literature should come from this period.

Agur and Lemuel may be pen names of someone otherwise familiar to us; more likely Agur and Lemuel were simply sages about whom we have no other information.

Since we do not know the identities of the writers, we cannot know the dates of composition. But there is no reason to date these sections very late. Also, although we cannot be sure when something like the present Book of Proverbs first appeared, the reign of Hezekiah (716-687 B.C.) may be a reasonable surmise (25:1).

Maybe you should read some Sumerian and Babylonian epics. Learn about the laws of Hammurabi.

I'm from:

http://es.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Av...

And the boy is me xD. I prefer a girl, I don't know. If you're interested send me an email!