What is the difference between polar bonds, non-polar bonds, and covalent bonds?

I know this is stupid but I forgot this basic chemistry and this information is vital for my Biology test.

• DavidB
    Favorite Answer

Polar bonds and non-polar bonds are both covalent bonds. In a covalent bond electrons are shared between the two atoms bonded. The polar/non-polar distinction depends on the relative electronegativities of the two atoms bonded. If the electronegativities are different one end (most electronegative atom) of the bond has a slightly negative charge and the other end (least electronegative atom) has a slightly positive charge and the bond is said to be polar. If the two electronegativities are the same (or very nearly the same) there is no separation of charge and the bond is non-polar.

confident certainly! once you verify out the Wikipedia get entry to for dipole 2d you will study that dipole moments variety from 0 to >10. on the time I mentioned what the heck has a dipole 2d >2 not to show 10! After a sprint diagnosis i got here across those severe dipole moments are chanced on for ionic solids interior the gasoline area M^+X^-(g). they are noted as ion pairs and could additionally exist in nonaqueous solvents. the single i like to cite is KBr: Potassium bromide BrK ? =10.628 ± 0.001 D CRC preparation manual 9-fifty 3