Bea asked in PetsBirds · 1 decade ago

Should i clip my parrot's wings?

OK so i'm getting a sun conure soonish...

and i would like opinions from people who already have them on this subject.

I know that from a safety perspective only it is safest.

It could fly away of fly into a mirror/window.

But i also know birds LOVE to fly, so i feel cruel taking this ability away from it.

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

I have lots of birds and i'll tell you 1 thing.. anyone who tells you to not to clip their wings are crazy!! One of my parrots flew out the door one day when i was leaving my house.. I never found him. And that's also happened to my grandmother.. It's very dangerous. And when you clip there wings, you know they can still kind of fly straight but not up. It's not dangerous and it gives the bird enough freedom.. Trust me.. clip it's wings...

Source(s): past experience...

Parrot Wings

It is NOT cruel to clip the wings unless they are kept in a flight aviary.

If you are keeping it in an outdoor aviary where they have lots of room to fly about, then do not clip the wings. However if you are keeping it indoors in a cage, DO clip the wings. It will only take 10 seconds and an open window for your bird to disappear and there is such a slim chance you will ever see your bird again. Clipping their wings does not hurt them either. I also want to say that it is not at all safe to let your bird fly around your house at all either, especially if you have ceiling fans. Birds will hit windows thinking they are open, they WILL fly out open windows and can easily smash into walls and break bones. And it is very easy for a bird to fly on top of something very tall and get stuck, rather it be out of will and not wanting to come down or literally getting stuck. Ceiling fans can decapitate birds as well.

We had not clipped one of my bird's wings for a while (we had not realized this) and my brother brought her outside in the garage and while holding onto her completely, she flew out to the street. We were lucky she didn't get ran over and we VERY lucky she did not pick up the wind. The wind was crazy and it was a miracle that it did not pick her up and sweep her away. I also met a woman while I worked in a petshop who had just bought an amazon parrot and her daughter got her out of her cage and though the cage was no where near the door, she flew out the sliding glass door and they never found her. Another account, there is a loose amazon in our neighborhood. One of the neighbors who did not clip the wings had left a window open and when they were getting the bird out of the cage, it took off and that was that. Occasionally we see the bird fly around and it lives in the trees but it is not safe at all. The last thing I want to say in regards to birds that do not have their wings clipped is that it is so common for bids to snap their necks, especially the little conures, when hitting a wall or window because negligent owners let them fly around or due to not clipping their wings, they got out.

Ultimately it is your choice, though like I said, you have to think about the safety of your bird. Wings do not have to be clipped and should not be if kept in a large, outdoor aviary but if they are indoor pets, DO clip them.

Source(s): After I clip the wings of my bird, I hold her feet and lift my hand she is on in an up and down motion. She starts to flap her wings, it is not only a form of exercise but it also a way for her to feel flight without being in harm's way.

You are exactly right, birds do love to fly. But, I'm also sure they don't like to be in a cage either, so, the chance of you losing your baby is great. A good friend of mine used to brag about his macaw being able to fly, and he could always call it back. Well, the bird was on a bird stand, the man's wife came in the house with groceries, when she got to the kitchen, one of the bags broke and a jar of applesauce fell one the floor and exploded, the door was open, the bird got spooked, flew out the front door right as a moving truck was driving by and the bird smacked right into the windshield. All my birds are clipped, even my breeders, I love them too much to let them cross the street with out holding my hand, ya know?

Source(s): 35 years bird ownership

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Should i clip my parrot's wings?

But i also know birds LOVE to fly, so i feel cruel taking this...

Source(s): clip parrot wings: https://biturl.im/BMrgQ

you should only clip until the bird knows to fly to you or fly to it cage or perch. wen it knows this it is fine to let it grow its wing feathers.

• Yogi T

My certified avian vet told me if people could see how many birds she patches up weekly because they got injured flying around, there wouldn't be an unclipped bird in the country. 'Nuff said.

I find it cruel but if its inside then yes you have to do this but if he can have an outdoor area that is fenced in that would be best

thats so wierd. i posted a question kinda like that. but i think if you need to clip them you can