craigs list question? does this sound real. im not sure!!?

So I posted a listing for a dollhouse I am trying to sell. I got a few respondants

But I am not sure if this one sounds real or not.

please help. i have never listed anything on craigs list before! and i dont want to get taken advantage of.

Here is the email convo that we have had so far:

Good Day,

This is Mr. John Terry. I resided at (#### AVONWOOD CT LUTZ,FL 33559 USA). I will like to make purchase of your item on craigslist website and I will like to know if you still have it available for sale. Also are you the real owner of this item? And kindly confirm to me if the price still remain the same. I will also like you to let me know more about its present condition.

I will also like to keep you Inform that I will be making the shipping arrangement from your place after you receive the payment and the payment will be made to you by check after you reconfirm the final price to me. I will be awaiting to read from you soonest.

Best Regards,

John .-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Hello John,

Yes the item is still available. The price is $80. I hope you are aware that I am in California. If you are still interested in the item I would be more than happy to make arrangments for the sale. Please know I have others who have contacted me about the item also, so I need to know if you are seriously interested ASAP.

To answer your questions

Yes I am the real owner. I purchased the item last December (2007), and she never really used it. As for the condition: It is in great condition. As I mentioned to you before, my daughter hardly used the dollhouse. It comes with origianl accessories. Fully assembled. I will not be able to take the dollhouse apart, so any shipping arrangments you make will have to be for the item as it is which is approx. 4 feet tall and 3 feet wide.

The price is $80.00 and you would have to pay me the estimated shipping cost, so I could ship it to you.

Please let me know if you are still interested : )

Sandra

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Thank you this sound good to me, The reason for sending you this email is to make final reconfirmation. Regarding the shipping, I have a Shipper Agent that takes care of the pickup of my consignments for me and ship to my destination in Lutz Florida.

More so, you will be receiving an overdraft Cashier's Check from my Associate which will cover the money for the pickup of all my consignments that has already being in transit with my shipping agent and the sale cost, then they will also be coming for your own pick up. So as soon as you received the Check and pay the check into your account, then deduct the money that is meant for the sale of the item and then you effect the balance to the shipper Agent that handles the shipment this should be sent to the shipper by Money Gram Transfer/ Western Union.

Below details needed for issuing the Cashier's Check.

(1) Your Full Name

(2) Mailing address City,State,Zip Code, no p.o.box please

(3) Your direct telephone number both home and cell.?

{4} Acceptance of my offer

(5) Last price as prescribed on craigslist:

Once I have the details, the payment will be issued out on Monday by my Associate and tracking number will be given to you. Hope to read from you immediately you received this email.

I will also offer you an extra $20 for keeping the purchase for me till the shipper comes for the pick up and take the sale off the advert.

I will be looking forward to your swift response.

Best Regards,

John .

Best Answer

It's obviously from someone overseas as their grammar is really bad. I suggest you send him the following email:

GET F**KED!!

hope this helps ;-)

This just screams SCAM!!!!!!!!

The check will be a fake, but you will not find that out until you have already shipped the item and paid the shipper. Then you will be out of a dollhouse and whatever money he sends for the "shipper".

Also, look at the language he uses. "Hope to read from you immediately you received this email." and "that has already being in transit"

This is not from a native English speaker. The email was probably sent from another country.

I would tell this man that someone else has already picked up the item and it is no longer availible. Then block communication from him.

I never use Craig's list cause the security that needs to be there just isn't...... I always use ebay cause the security that needs to be there is there!!!! I use pay pal for all my transactions instant money transfer free BTW! and shipping costs are easily set up through UPs USPS! and fedex right there on your sellers page... all prices are easily added together and right there for the buyer to see and every thing is a legal agreement through ebay ...... and pay pal so if any issue comes up your backed by full on ...... and every thing is recorded for you to go to court..... reducing the chance of being scammed or hurt in any way by 120%

I just don't trust the lay out of Craig's list....... 6 years of experience in online transactions ebay seller for 5

Source(s): it is a scam seriously stay away contact your bank about scams using cashiers checks and checks for over balance through online transactions they can tell you what has been going on it is to much for me to list here

So as soon as you received the Check and pay the check into your account, then deduct the money that is meant for the sale of the item and then you effect the balance to the shipper.

---------

No, I don't believe it and the sentence above is why. Basically, he is saying he will send you more $ and to take what you need. It could be legit but it's risky doing business the way you are doing it so, good luck.

I wouldn't do it because if he is in Florida, he can get it cheaper. I would respond by making that point.

Well, John Terry sounds like such a unreal name that someone would just pick. The only John Terry I know plays for Chelsea but you never know, a lot of people on craigslist are just on there to mess with people so be careful.

• sticks

LOL,

Well, I only read the first page of answers, and I think you get the idea...only one person thought it was NOT a scam. It's those kind of people that the scammer is looking for. I betcha she gets a number of fresh scam emails tomorrow!

Remember, bottom line is this: if it sounds too good to be true it isn't true! You were wise to NOT take the person up on his "offer"... OH, by the way, I will be willing to sell you 1,003 perfectly good Russian Tanks for $1,000 each. You will have to arrange for pickup as they are in the Iraqui desert. :)

100% sure this is a scam. first thing to look at is the guy doesnt even have proper f***ing english saying "I will also like to keep you Inform". Just tell him you only accept money orders or cash. when he says no then send him another email saying you reported him to the FBI. Whats going to happen is he is going to send you a check that is either stolen or fake, it will bounce in your bank account and then your screwed.

Source(s): have been through all this on craiglist NUMEROUS times!!....never dumb enough to fall for it

My emails from craigslist say to beware of cashier's checks, among other things. Just tell him you can't accept a cashier's check and will only accept ...whatever you are comfortable accepting (it would be paypal for me).

The shipping thing sounds funny too, so maybe you should tell him that you will offer the shipping service (UPS or whatever you had originally intended to use).

• nick k

it's a scam they all sound similar when you are dealing on craigslist if your selling always get cash in full never ship and if your buying inspect item make sure everything works and is to your liking other than that cl is a great tool

Source(s): craigslist user

No it doesn't sound good to me.Why would the purchaser want all your details? He should be sending you a bank draft,which upon cashing you would send goods.The only thing is he might not trust you. But me I reckon he's a scamster.

No its a scame cus i got sent 2 cheek FOR sealing oncraigs list andthey y wanted me to do the same but they just used my info to get my money out my bankthoses a hoes sorrydon'tt do it