Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

annie asked in Social ScienceEconomics · 1 decade ago

is corruption bad, can it ever benefit the economy. sane and well thought answers please?

i have to find the positive effects of corruption on our economy , seeing the present scenario, required for an economics project.taking of the system in india. answers, rational and practical, not idealist.

Update:

tis is for bill: i'm supposed to find positives, corruption is definitely not good, but it is not as terrible as its picture is painted.

i'm not justifying corruption, but today, we have come a long way from idealism. ye, if there is no corruption, the world will become a much better place, but the reality is different and if the world is still going on, that means that somewhere corruption is having a positive effect, even if it is very little.

u don't understand, this is my homework and oviously, i want relevent or "controlled" answers. i don't really want opinions for personal reasons as, i am stronly opposed to corruption.

don't get me wrong, try to understand my situation.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You might want to try your question over in the Philosophy area.

It is impossible for corruption to have a positive effect on an economy. Corruption is by definition theft and dereliction of civic duty. Corrupt officials undermine the effectiveness of a government by placing a monetary wall between that government and the citizens it is supposed to be supporting. Therefor the rich, those able to afford bribes benefit at the expense of the poor, those who cannot afford to pay bribes.

This produces civil unrest amongst those who cannot afford bribes, and erodes trust in even a just action of the government because the taint of corruption will lead people (both rich and poor) to believe that any decision is made for the sake of graft as opposed to the benefit of the country and its people.

Corruption is anathema to governance.

• Bill
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

You ask a question and then try to control the answers: "I have to find the positive effects." In this way, you virtually guarantee that the answers get, if you have your way, will move you away from the truth and reality, not closer to it!

Corruption is never good. Is disease ever good? Is cancer ever good? Corruption means that a number of powerful people are cheating and stealing from people. And while the results might be delayed, they will come, and they will not be good, like now!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.