are vegetarians or vegans contributing to global warming?

are vegetarians or vegans contributing to global warming by increasing demand for more farmland being made from the rain forrest and displacing wild animal habitats to keep up with the demand for more cropland to grow soy beans and other vegetables.

Update 2:

in the past four years i have seen five times more products in grocery stores made from soy products as well as schools have increased their demand for soy products to lower the amount of beef in school lunches so the demand for beef has declined for human consumption while soy products has increased by a threefold.

Update 3:

from the answers i have read so far i can tell none of you are in the agircultural business(except one)either farming or ranching.cattle do not digest soy very well,it is used in feedlots along with corn to fatten the cattle for human consumption but is not good for them or us.hogs and chickens get fed the most of the soy products because the government subsidises soy and corn farmers with incentives making it cheap feed for feed lots.half of the crops worldwide are used in chemical companies to produce goods for consumers from shampoo to plastics,and we all know how much polution the chemical factories make.i am a cattle rancher and all of my livestock is fed natural grass in pasture and is sold for grade A beef.i should also tell you i went to school for livestock management and environmental science at colorado state university and have degrees in both.

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Yep. COnsider this to, you ever eating that much fiber? You're body doesn't exactly 'like' it, pardon the crudeness but it's gonna make you fart a lot. Methane, global warming, they contribute to it.

Additional Details: You're a cattle rancher? I love you! Can I get some free beef?

Meat > *

• Au contraire, darling.

Both the U.N. and the U.S. Environmental "Protection" Agency have determined, respectively, that animal industry contributes more greenhouse gasses than all forms of transportation combined and that runoff from these facilities causes more water pollution than all other industrial sources.

A vast percentage of the soy and grains being grown is being fed to animals who are being kept for food. While I've heard varying numbers, it's fair to assume that it takes less grain to produce a pound of chicken flesh than a pound of cow flesh; chickens, after all, are smaller animals. But it is still far, far more efficient to feed the grains and beans to the humans directly instead of funneling it through animals.

When it comes to grazing, that has its own set of issues. A big problem is overgrazing, weakening the topsoil, packing the earth too firmly, causing any rainfall to run off instead of be absorbed. Cattle grazing is a big cause of desertification. And as someone else pointed out, when the rainforests are destroyed, it's for grazing land, not to grow crops for people to eat.

• 1 decade ago

Soy and grain crops that are displacing rainforest in South America are grown to FEED CATTLE in the North American and European market. These cattle are raised for MEAT!!

Do you really think that tofu is so in demand that they need to cut down the rainforest? I don't think so.

Edit** Scottishguy111...the number of 16 lbs. of grain comes directly from the book "Diet For a Small Planet" by Francis Moore Lappe. Rasio is correct in that respect according to the studies that Lappe had conducted. 50 cows on an acre of land would chew all the grass on that land within a day. Then they would have to be rotated to another acre the next day. They would have to cycle around like that until the grass grows back 6 weeks later.

• 1 decade ago

No.

The opposite is true.

Animals for meat require five times the acreage of crops as food than crops grown for direct human consumption.

The supply of vast amounts of cheap meat for companies like MacDonald's has caused widespread deforestation in S. America

Also the animals produce vast amounts of methane from their digestive systems which is a major contribution to global warming.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The Brazilian rainforest is being cleared to make grazing land for cattle, and to grow soybeans The vast majority of the world's soybeans is fed to livestock.

• 1 decade ago

In the 1960's many farmers dug out all of their hedgerows to increase farmland. It has nothing to do with vegetarians. It has to do with small farmers making a living. It's not the farmers who make fortunes off the land, it is the wholesalers. Having said that, farmers work long hard hours and deserve more.

• All those soybeans are grown for animal feed.

PS: if soy products have replaced beef, that means it's REDUCING global warming.

What are you trying to say? You just defeated your own argument.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, 16 pounds of grain for one slab of flesh. You contribute to global warming nearly 16 times more than us.

• 1 decade ago

No.

Are meat eaters contributing to global warming by increasing demand for more farmland being made from the rain forest and displacing wild animal habitats to keep up with the demand for more cropland to grass and other plants so that the cows have something to eat?

Yes!

It takes 16 pounds of plants to produce 1 pound of meat. You could have just gone straight from the plants to th human, and no pain inflicted, and no harm done, because we've already got so much farm land being used by the meat industry.

The world can support 2.5 billion meat eaters. But. 10 billion vegetarians.

• 1 decade ago

No, they are taking out the rain forrests to raise cattle. And everything else all the others who said no said is correct.

• 1 decade ago

okay thats stupid.. what about meat eaters then? meat factories cause huge amounts of pollution as well as cutting down trees to make land for animals etc.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.