Can you help me make a list of famous artists?

I'm trying to make a list of around popular 50 artists (painters, sculptors, etc.) from any time period (classic to modern). The types of names I want are those that are rather well-known, so if someone makes a reference to him/her in conversation, most people would know who they mean. The names I've been able to come up with so far are: Monet, Van Gogh, Khalo, Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Raphael, Donatello, Dali, Matisse, Klee, Chagall, Picasso, Renoir, Rousseau, Toulouse-Lautrec, Warhol, Rockwell, Seurat, Munch, and Rembrandt.

P.S. I'm not a student asking for help on an assignment. This sounds weird, but my husband wants to be on Jeopardy, and I'm trying to help him study for the categories he thinks he won't do well on. :)

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Like any list, this one may represent my own biases, and it is not a bad idea to include certain famous photographers among a list of "artists." Anyway, here's some ideas

Andrea del Sarto,

Angelico, Fra

Audubon, John James

Bellini, Giovanni

Benton, Thomas Hart

Botticcelli, Sandro

Brueghel, Pieter

Caravaggio,

Cassatt, Mary

Cezanne, Paul

Chagall, Marc

Dali, Salvador

De Kooning, Willem

Dore, Gustave

Dürer, Albrecht

Escher, M.C.

Gainsborough, Thomas

Gauguin, Paul

Hogarth, William

Holbein the Younger, Hans

Hopper, Edward

Homer, Winslow

Manet, Edouard

Modigliani, Amedeo

Michelangelo,

Pollock, Jackson

Raphael,

Renoir, Pierre Auguste

Rockwell, Norman

Rodin, Auguste

Tintoretto, Jacopo

Titian,

Vermeer, Johannes

Whistler, James Abbott McNeill

Wyeth, Andrew

Weston, Edward

• madart
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The two most popular art history texts in college are Jensen's and Art through the Ages. I would pick up one of those from a friend or the library. If you want to buy one, don't buy a new one from a college bookstore- buy a used one or check the big chain bookstores, they often have them in bargain books. That would be a good place to start. Have him skim through focusing on anything he recognizes from popular culture. It wouldn't be bad if he had an overview of the movements and themes and not just individual artists.

Good luck. Hope he makes it on.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

go to a library

• 1 decade ago

I highly recommend checking the "artchive" at

http://artchive.com/ftp_site.htm

Not only does it have listings of every artist you could think of, but it has catagories like Renaissance, Baroque, Rococo, Neo-Classical etc and it explains what everything is and has names and images of artists/painters/sculptors.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ozzie
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Oh baby!... Dale Chihuly !!!

Chihuly revolutionized the studio glass movement.

Check out the URLs.

HTH.

• 1 decade ago

warhol

van gogh

picasso

matisse

da vinci

annie lebowitz

banksy

monet

Seurat

Source(s): my head
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.