Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

I have a cold..can my 1 month old puppy get it too...?

i let him roam around my face and hes tiny he fits in my hand he licks my nose too... i dont want him to get him sick

Favorite Answer

No dog's cannot get your cold. They can get a canine version called canine parainfluenza virus which is a viral infection but there is no research that shows this can be caught from humans to canine and vice versa. The canine parainfluenza is also know as kennel cough and this can cause your puppy to cough and get a runny nose. Generally this discharge is clear but on occasion can be green which means that there may be a bacterial infection secondary to the kennel cough. Even though puppy will be vaccinated against the Kennel cough bacterial and viral strains there are about 9 different types and vaccines only cover two types. Therefore your puppy may in it's life time get one of the other 7 versions of kennel cough and need antibiotics and cough medicine.

• Megan

Why on earth do you have a 1 month old pup? This puppy should be with its mother and litter mates till at the earliest 8 weeks. If you can't even afford puppy milk how are you going to afford the vaccinations? Good quality food? Vet bills? General supplies? I wouldn't suggest giving this dog back to someone that let a pup go at a month old but you certainly need to give him/her up to a shelter that can find an experienced foster carer. You certainly can't give a puppy cows milk as dogs are lactose intolerant, goats milk would be the second alternative from puppy formula. This puppy is likely to never have been wormed too which is very dangerous.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axIXA

The first question would be why do you have a 1 month old puppy when they should never leave their mom until at least 2 months old? No, you can't give a puppy regular milk, and while he is old enough to be started on puppy food, he needs to be gradually weaned off the milk, not switched suddenly. If you can't afford more puppy milk, how are you going to buy him a proper puppy food? Or pay for his vaccinations and checkups? This is a recipe for disaster, really. You may want to find your puppy a home that can better care for it.

Dogs may develop respiratory problems that mimic human colds. The cause of the human cold, the human rhinovirus, is not considered to be a risk for transmission to dogs, but animals are susceptible to other viruses in the picornavirus group to which rhinovirus belongs.

dogs don't get 'colds" like humans do.

I would be more concerned with the fact that your pup is only a month old and away from mom...

No worries! Luckily animals cannot catch viruses from humans because we have different immune systems. They can only from other animals. And vice versa, we cannot catch viruses from them except for in extreme cases like rabies and such. You can safely let your pup lick you until you feel better.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

dogs do get illnesses,

but its not possible to catch them from humans

I would have to say no.