Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 decade ago

how have gender roles changed?

How have attitudes toward the roles of men and women changed or remain traditional (like in the 1940's & 50's, stay at home moms, rosy the riviter, etc)? For example, my mom is now an owner of a jewelry business, 60 years ago or so, and that wasn't even possible, just crazy to me. ANyways, if any of you have some more examples that would be cool too. I got like hilary clinton and Sarah Palin so yeahh :D

Best Answer

Deezy, I do not think the roles have changed so much as the options and choices have changed. Once women were expected to marry, have children and take care of the home...a very important and laudable role. There professional career choices, if they were to have any, were being a nurse or a teacher, though a few did break through those barriers into other fields.

Now, I think that there are more choices and options available to women...like your mom owning a business. Women are pretty much accepted into most career fields and can even choose not to marry or have children.

Conversely, most women are still women and men still men. Equality is about have options and choices in our lives that are not controlled by stereotypical roles.

• duquin

Gender Roles In The 1940s

Gender roles have changed dramatically. The only thing is now gender roles are more varied. For example, a woman has more gender roles than just being a housewife, secretary, teacher etc. These roles are not frowned upon or seen as lower, but today it has been proven that women have more choices than before. A woman doesn't just have to be what society makes her be, she can achieve and strive for any goal she wants now. Gender roles no longer define a person as that is all they can ever be. A man is not the only one who has to bring home the bread, and the woman is not the only one that raises children.

If we think about it on the fact that it hasn't changed at all, this is also true because if you think about it Gender roles can be as simple as being a father or a mother or a brother or daughter.

Gender roles have changed for the better, men and women are no longer limited, and can seek out opportunity without being bashed from society's social norms.

Source(s): Psychology major, wrote a paper and presented on female gender roles during the vietnam war (1945-1975) compared to current times.

I think gender roles have changed yes but, I also think it is a choice. It is a choice what the woman decides to do in her life.Men are expected to work and be the supposedly breadwinners. Now men are choosing to stay at home due to other types of jobs they can do on the computer. Alot it has to with the financial aspects of different incomes I suppose.

Since the 50's they've changed. But I was reading about independent women from the first century AD the other day, so seriously ladies, if you think you're the first generation of women to be fully independent then you're completely wrong.

Gender roles haven't chande at all in my house. My wife is still barefoot in the kitchen with a frying pan in one hand and my baby in the other. Just kidding. I have no idea, really. I've noticed most feminist politicians-Boxer, Pelosi, Clinton-only got where they are by marrying rich and powerful men. Also, most male politicians adored by feminists-Bill Clinton, Ted Kennedys-are extreme misogynists in real life. Just an observation...I think women can do better.

gender roles have not change, they will never change. men and women have and always will be equal, they have simply been created for different tasks. Feminists though dislike being female, so they feel they need to turn everyone into a man. Their plan will fail in the long run, so I am not worried.

gender roles have certainly changed. Think of all the women athletes and politicians and more.

Men are more willing to become house husbands.

Sarah Palin....I'd hit it.