What does the Confederate flag mean?

Why do many Southerners fight for the right to display the Confederate flag when it represents treason, and racism? What are the reasons for appreciating the Confederate flag unless you're a racist

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Beth T
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I have always thought it represented state's rights, rebellion against the government and individualism. I base this on my studies of US history before, during and after the Civil War. It reminds people of slavery and that is unfortunate, but that is not what it stands for.

• j615
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

well the Confederate Flag is only a historical relic or a symbol seen in pop culture...(Dukes of Hazzard) and so on. In some sections it is seen also as a historical mark....but like many other symbols it is protected in the right to free speech...and pretty much the freedom any American has to display most anything.

The Confederate Flag is flown because it can be and for each person, it has a different meaning. I agree that it has ties to racist views and it has been put in the face of African Americans throughout times of struggle and hardship, but in the end it is just a flag and the venom does not come from the symbol but the person who hoists it. Take away the Confederate Flag and the hate will still exist and those people will just gather under another banner or group.

No it does not belong on top of any capital building but there are good people who display it in a decent manner and try to be considerate to everyone. They are not racist nor do they have hate in their heart but they see things in a different way.

America was founded on treason and yes even racism.We as a people rebeled against our former government. Long after the Civil War, the same troops that fought to free the slaves continued on in the government's plan of slaughtering and moving Native Americans off their land.

America hated Native Americans at one time, as it did the Irish, the Chineese, and any other race different from the white majority. The banner we fly outside our homes and the post offices across the United States flew over the oppressive beliefs of our country and saw men who labored with little pay and poor working conditions.

Some people might ask the same of anyone who flies the American flag...the flag which still represents a working government. This is the flag that gives the people the right to fly the Confederate flag. This is the flag which still takes from the Native Americans and ignores African Americans.

There are those who are thrilled people tie so much to the Confederate flag. It puts a mindset that racism is southern and not a government problem. It distracts from the real issues and allows our government to continue in its plan.

• 7 years ago

Oh yes it was about slavery. Wikipedia has the best answer:

"The causes of the Civil War were complex and have been controversial since the war began. The issue has been further complicated by historical revisionists, who have tried to offer a variety of reasons for the war.[8] Slavery was the central source of escalating political tension in the 1850s. The Republican Party was determined to prevent any spread of slavery, and many Southern leaders had threatened secession if the Republican candidate, Lincoln, won the 1860 election. After Lincoln had won without carrying a single Southern state, many Southern whites felt that disunion had become their only option, because they felt as if they were losing representation, which hampered their ability to promote pro-slavery acts and policies.[9]

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

It is part of our History. It was the Civil War it represents... it is part of our Country. If we continue to listen to these Black Trouble makers and if we continue to have Black people dictate to us about our Country and what are Country stands for, then this Country will no longer represent e Great country that we live in. It is bad enough that Schools have taken away the saying in " God We Trust" This great Country that we fought for so many years is being taken away from we Americans. We need to stand up for our rights and our ancestors that fought for our Country. I am tired of Black People always making trouble and anyone else that is always starring up trouble. We should keep the Confederate Flag up.

People if you do not like our Country and you are just going to use Civil Rights Racism as an excuse. I suggest to you, " Get The Heal Out Of Our Country." You do not like it here leave, and never return. And To the Blacks out here, Stop the Bullshit of Racism. You Blacks are the most Racist people I have ever came across and the most ignorant people I have ever came ascross.

there are so many different kinds of Nationalities that now live in this Country. Ethiopian, Asian, Latinos, Americans, Philippines, Europeans, Indians, Iran s ecct. Now of these people complain or try to dictate to use or try to change anything. They are happy and love this Country. They honor this Country and think of it as the best Place on Earth to live. Yet you Black People and some others all you think about is Control. If something does not go your way, or if anything you do not like right away Racism. Now all the sudden it is the Flag.

If anyone says ha ******, right away it is a racist remark. But yet when a Black Person says ****** as they always call themselves it is fine. You hear it on the streets the bus and all over.

All I could say is *******, and anyone else that that does not want to live here or make trouble I tell you. IF YOU DO NOT LIKE IT HERE, OR YOU DO NOT LIKE THE FLAG. THEN I HAVE SOME WORDS FOR ALL OF YOU. GET THE HELL OUT OF OUR COUNTRY,"

We have enough trouble just hoping ISIS, does not attack us. We have enough trouble with all of our Factories being closed, we have enough problems with just surviving. I also like to state that our President has been the Biggest Disappointment in United States History. Thanks to our President we no longer have jobs, in our Country. We no longer have Full Time Employment

anymore, All this Country thinks about is giving our Technology and our work to other Countries, and we are forced to buy pure crap. There is no more quality to our products.

All you people need to grow up and stop the nuisance of trying to change things. Like the Confederate Flags. Now Gays can have rights also. However that is fine but it is another attempt to change our great Country. What this Country was built on and what this Country has become is a 100% disgrace. I pray our next President will be Stronger and stop all this Bull **** that is going on.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

If you all actually do the research you would understand that the war was over many things but slavery was a very small part besides the south fought side by side with African Americans ate same food and sleeped side by side but the north had a general who was going to kill a whole regimate for treason due to they refused to fight with African Americans and before the war there were 250000 plus free slaves in the south and the bigest plantation in south Carolina was owned by a free slave and he had 200 slaves and if you want to see the confederate flag as a racist symbol you need to see the american flag as one since they had slaves during the war but all in all why bother when everyone who is in the working class is technically a slave anyways we work for pennys and barely pay our bills to live while our bosses pockets get fat and we always are worried that we are going to get punished for something so think about that we are all technically slaves so American flag symbolize slavery

• 6 years ago

This land was stolen from the Indians. They should be the ones mad... They were the first SLAVES on the land. So I say lets have a new flag to honor the Native Indians.

• 6 years ago

Everyone stop with the black people, white people bickering the country really belong to the Native Indians and Mexicans. So when you say our country, where is my 50 acres and a mule or go back to where you come from does mean you too! Do your research and stop the Madness!

• 6 years ago

All the states that use the confederate flag in their official symbols have low adult literacy rates.

• 1 decade ago

Many southerners absolutely do not attach those meanings or symbolism to the Confederate battle flag. From their perspective, it represents something completely different.

The civil was fought over slavery, it's true - but that was only one of many issues that led up to the war. In any war, the victors paint their vanquished enemies as morally corrupt and deserving of defeat... sometimes that actually "is" true; sometimes not; sometimes the truth is somewhere in-between.

Economic and social repression of immigrants; violence toward minorities; and what was euphemistically called "indentured servitude" were part of Northern culture before and after the civil war. In both Northern and Southern states - blacks could not attend school, hold professional jobs, vote, own their own business, or have a realistic hope of rising out of their economic and social class. Women of any race did not gain the right to vote until decades after the civil war ended.

To people educated in modern schools, especially in the Northern states, the Confederate battle flag stands for all the things you mentioned in your question.

The US was originally founded as a Confederation, then re-founded as a loosely-organized Federation of independent States. The concept of a strong central government in Washington, controlling the individual states, was anathema to the framers of the Constitution. This conflict of ideas about how the country should be ran was one of the main causes of the civil war. Slavery was an important issue to be sure; but contrary to modern teaching it wasn't anything like the primary cause of the US civil war (even though history books were quickly re-written to back that claim).

After the war's end, the North took steps to ensure that the South would never be able to regain it's former economic strength. The South today is still poorer and generally less-educated, with inferior transportation systems and less well-developed industries - in spite of holding many more natural resources, usable deep-sea ports, and arable farm land. The victor also sent envoys to Russia, France, England, and Spain (all of which were set to normalize diplomatic relations with the South) to make sure they would not recognize the South as a separate nation. The North also used their much-enlarged army to wage a series of genocidal wars against the native American (Indians of the Western continent); conquer the natives of Alaska, Cuba, Florida, Hawaii, the Philippines, and Puerto Rico; and invade both Canada and Mexico. By objective standards, the Northern states were devoted to warlike conquest and a strong central government.

To many Southerners, the Confederate battle flag doesn't represent racism or treason - racism existed in the North, and minorities were economically and socially repressed there, as well as being held in "indentured servitude". In an odd way, many Southerners see the Stars-and-Bars as representing adherence to the original principles of limited central government for which their fathers and grandfathers fought against the British.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It does NOT symbolize treason and racism. The civil war was NOT fought because the north thought racism was so wrong. Most of the north had indentured servants (is it really better that they were only owned for 20 years instead of life, I mean, is it?)

The civil war was fought because of economical and political differences. The confederate flag represents states rights. It does represent rebellion to an extent. It represents pride of being from the South. It represents that the south was at least brave enough to fight for what they wanted.

And if you want to talk about treason, what the US did in fighting for its independance was treason. Thats why the majority of signatures on the declaration are so small... so that if they lost it would be harder to figure out who they were. So technically, the American flag represents treatson as well. Funny how the connotation is different since the US won independance from England.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.