Love Life! <3 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Dog Food Vs. Dog Food?

Yes, I have asked this question a few times, but I have found a new brand. I want to know which is better?

Chicken Soup for the puppy lovers soul. 35 pounds, $37

Ingredients

Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, turkey meal, whole grain brown rice, whole grain white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, potatoes, cracked pearled barley, millet, duck, salmon, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, kelp, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, chicory root extract, carrots, peas, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake. Vitamins and minerals.

Diamond Natural, Small Breed Puppy Formula. 40lb bag for $40

Ingredients

Chicken, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), egg product, whole grain brown rice, beet pulp, fish meal, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, salmon oil (a source of DHA), potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, yucca schidigera extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

What do you think about these dog food? Which one is better? I'm thinking about getting it for my 4 month old pomeranian.

Best Answer

Chicken soup for the Puppy Lovers soul is a much better quality food, it's actually rated 5 stars on the dog food analysis (out of 6). As you can see it contains a lot less "added" ingredients like Zinc Proteinate and Manganous Oxide and Manganese Sulfate blah blah blah, do you know what that is? If you don't then why feed it to your dog.

If you had to choose select Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lovers Soul, less crap more real ingredients, however, Diamond foods manufactures Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lovers Soul and Diamond foods always has the most food on the pet food recall lists due to the use of gluten (wheat and rice gluten) and they also had the higest amount of deaths on the last pet food recall. Per the review of the food Diamond food uses Ethoxyquin to preserve their fish and meats, they've stated they will stop using it but since they aren't regulated by the FDA who knows for sure if they will.

Personally I don't like any dog food with "grains" in them and I feed Holistic, it's better for dogs and doesn't cause food allergies as it's 100% allergen free. I feed Breeders Choice - Pinnacle Holistic, Holistic food is never on the recall lists.

For the simple fact that the first food is produced by Diamond Foods I would pass entirely.

Good luck

When did chicory, carrots, peas, apples and cranberry become dog food ingredients? There isn't much real difference between these foods. One uses chicken and turkey, the other only uses chicken. Neither uses corn or wheat. The biggest difference is the fruits and vegetables in the chicken soup brand. Both are made by the same company and its a good bet that the major ingredients come from the same sources. Unless there is an allergy problem your dog will be fine with either food. Feed whichever one is easier to get. The prices are close enough to the same, especially considering how little one pomeranian will eat. If you were feeding a working dog you might notice a difference between those foods but not with a normal family pet.

I am personally a huge fan of Chicken Soup for the Puppy (Dog) Lover's Soul. Though the Diamond Natural doesn't look terrible, it's certainly not as high quality.

I'll star.

Chicken Soup for the puppy Lovers soul

Source(s): www.dogfoodanalysis.com

There both good but I would go with Chicken soup for the puppy lovers soul.

• Shanna

I personally think the Chicken Soup brand is a little better than the Diamond.

• I've always been under the assumption that Diamond is the the cheapest of the decent foods. but chicken soup has always been on the list of foods that the great dane gang suggests

first one

in the second food:

what is chicken flavor?

beet pulp is a common allergen

egg product??

chicken fat in top 4 ingredients have been shown to increase % of bloat

edit: just a note, both foods are manufactured by Diamond

• Debra

A dog can not just eat canned dog food, it does not have the nutrients they need, and like somone else said it is not that good on their teeth, keep doing like your doing with the dry food, and feed wet on occasion.

I would try wellness. It's a little pricey but if you can afford to spend $50 on your self on a night out you can afford that for your puppy.

It's organic and grain free. My puppy loves the wet food. I like the idea of knowing that my puppy is eating as well as i am. They have lots of options for puppies and older dogs. You should totally check it out.