Where can I buy saffron?

I live in London and I want to buy saffron to use in my dinner. Where can I buy it? Saffron is a seasoning that comes from a flower. It is quite expensive but I love the taste of it. Anyone an idea where I can find it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saffron

Favorite Answer

Many supermarkets - like Sainsburys are now stocking Spanish saffron, which is much better value. It comes in a little rectangular perspex box, and you get enough to last a year in it for about £3.

Do avoid Schwartz or similar - for any spices - they're a complete rip off.

Sainsburys Saffron

If you buy it at a supermarket and its generally cheap, its not the real deal. Some of the spice may be, but not the whole thing. If you want the real stuff, go to this spice website called Penzey's (or Penzy's, I can't remember if there is an e before the y or not)

Real saffron is very expensive, and Penzy's has saffron that you can buy by the gram, some of it around $15 per gram. So if you want the real stuff, go there, but if you don't care, then you to your local grocery store.

Source(s): Read Penzy's magazine and an article over Saffron

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Where can I buy saffron?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saffron

Source(s): buy saffron: https://tinyurl.im/ikVZL

There are plenty of places you can buy it. Hy-Vee food stores generally carry saffron (all of them in Cedar Rapids do), but where they keep it varies from store to store. Usually it is in the spice aisle, in little bags. However, I have seen a couple where it is actually kept in a little rack near the Chinese and/or Italian deli sections. Additionally, most middle-eastern grocery stores and natural food co-ops carry saffron. If you can not find it anywhere else, I can guarantee you that it is available at the Hy-Vee's in Cedar Rapids and Iowa City, as well as at New Pioneer Co-op in Iowa City and Aladdin restaurant/grocery in Coralville and Cedar Rapids. You can always grow your own too. Saffron crocuses do well in Iowa, given enough drainage. I grow my own, but I often fail to catch them when they bloom (which is usually November here, sometimes there is snow on the ground).

Dont know about in London but here in the United States you can get it at almost any supermarket/grocery store. Since it is rather expensive considering its size they generally keep it right at the checkout next to the Globe, The Sun and all those other rags. it comes in a little plastic vial with a little plastic stopper.

You might want to try a store specifically for spices or herbs. You can look these up in London on Google maps or in a telephone directory. Also, you may want to ring some organic food stores and they can tell you if they carry it. You're guaranteed you will find it somewhere!

Any supermarket should have it and those little indian veg shops well sell it. If you ever go on holiday to Europe then pick it up there, my wife goes to spain regularly for business and gets it all the time, its better quality and cheaper.

You can buy it from

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=s...

Hope this helps

Good luck!