promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Aashni asked in Social ScienceEconomics · 1 decade ago

How has death penalty affected the Economy?

I am supposed to do a report on how the death penalty has affected the economy, but I am not 100% sure how it has..

Is it because it is so expensive? or something else similar to that?

Please help!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The death penalty is much more expensive than life in prison, and financial resources are scarce. The question is whether the death penalty is a wise use of scarce resources that could be used to more effectively prevent and reduce crime.

As you may already know, homicide rates and rates of violent crime are higher in states and regions with the death penalty than in those without it.

Many people wonder why and at what stage the death penalty process is so expensive. The bulk of the expenses are upfront, for pre trial investigations and the actual initial trial. How come??

• more pre-trial time will be needed to prepare: cases typically take a year to come to trial

• more pre-trial motions will be filed and answered

• more experts will be hired

• twice as many attorneys will be appointed for the defense, and a comparable team for the prosecution

• jurors will have to be individually quizzed on their views about the death penalty, and they are more likely to be sequestered

• two trials instead of one will be conducted: one for guilt and one for punishment

• the trial will be longer: a cost study at Duke University estimated that death penalty trials take 3 to 5 times longer than typical murder trials

Here's an excerpt from a state report that gives some idea of the extent of the costs:

Kansas: “The study counted death penalty case costs through to execution and found that the median death penalty case costs $1.26 million. Non-death penalty cases were counted through to the end of incarceration and were found to have a median cost of $740,000. For death penalty cases, the pre-trial and trial level expenses were the most expensive part, 49% of the total cost. The investigation costs for death-sentence cases were about 3 times greater than for non-death cases. The trial costs for death cases were about 16 times greater than for non-death cases ($508,000 for death case; $32,000 for non-death case).” (. Kansas: Performance Audit Report: Costs Incurred for Death Penalty Cases: A K-GOAL Audit of the Department of Corrections)

• Eliel6 years agoReport

ur the king

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • incera
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Economics Of The Death Penalty

• 1 decade ago

Susan's answer is the best one here.

Simply put, because the death penalty is such a drain on taxpayer money (for all the reasons she cited), it will inevitably result in either (a) higher taxes (which leaves less disposable income for citizens) or (b) scaled down government services, which could be anything from road maintenance & repair, police officers, fire stations, etc. Usually, the government is one of the largest employers in any state, so this would also likely increase the unemployment rate.

I hope that helps. Good luck on your report!

• 1 decade ago

I am no economist but I don't think the death penalty has any sort of effect on the economy. I mean the Death penalty is not what is driving up gas prices or causing the stock market to crash

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Are you sitting comfortably? Many an afternoon has been enjoyed by a family, bonding over the discussion of death penalty and economy. Though death penalty and economy is a favourite topic of discussion amongst monarchs, presidents and dictators, it is yet to receive proper recognition for laying the foundations of democracy. It still has the power to shock those most reliant on technology, whom I can say no more about due to legal restrictions. With the primary aim of demonstrating my considerable intellect I will now demonstrate the complexity of the many faceted issue that is death penalty and economy.

Social Factors

While some scholars have claimed that there is no such thing as society, this is rubbish. The immortal and indispensable phrase ‘honesty is the best policy’ [1] borrowed much from death penalty and economy. Both tyranny and democracy are tried and questioned. Yet death penalty and economy raises the question 'why?'

Of paramount importance to any study of death penalty and economy within its context, is understanding the ideals of society. Society is powered by peer pressure, one of the most powerful forces in the world. As long as peer pressure uses its power for good, death penalty and economy will have its place in society.

Economic Factors

Is unemployment inherently bad for an economy? Yes. We will primarily be focusing on the Maiden-Tuesday-Lending model. For those of you unfamiliar with this model it is derived from the Three-Amigos model but with greater emphasis on the outlying gross national product. Market

Value

Of

Gold

death penalty and economy

When displayed this way it becomes very clear that death penalty and economy is of great importance. Well the market value of gold world wide are driven entirely by death penalty and economy. In the light of this free trade must be examined.

Political Factors

Politics has in some areas been seen to embrace an increasing ananiathesis of intergovernmentalism leading to neo-functionalism. Comparing the ideals of the young with the reality felt by their elders is like contrasting chalk and cheese.

One quote comes instantly to mind when examining this topic. I mean of course the words of the star of stage and screen Achilles H. Amster 'Taking a walk across hot coals will inevitably hurt your feet.' [2] I argue that his insight into death penalty and economy provided the inspiration for these great words. History tells us that death penalty and economy will always be a vote winner, whether we like it, or not.

Is death penalty and economy politically correct, in every sense? Each man, woman and to a lesser extent, child, must make up their own mind.

Conclusion

In my opinion death penalty and economy has played a large part in the development of man in the 20th Century and its influence remains strong. It brings peace, ensures financial stability, though death penalty and economy brings with it obvious difficulties, it is truly death penalty and economy.

One final thought from the talented Sigourney Paltrow: 'It's been nice educating you.' [3]

• 1 decade ago

It would be alot more heplful to the economy if people would just let the government do it. The convicts spend so much more money to try to get the sentence appealed and for legal issues the jails need permits and stuff.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well thats a tough question....it costs money yes to perform that, but at the same time killing off one person will effect it because for one: that person has no more ability to buy anything, and for two, its one less person in the work force to having to be paid wages....I guess its not really one or the other

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.