Why do food manufacturers add artificial colors or sweeteners?

I mean, if they wanted to generate more profit, couldn't they just stop putting artificial colors and sweeteners in food, which they buy from other chemical manufacturers (correct me if I'm wrong here). So less buying for the company, relatively the more profit the company will make, and that does not even include product sales yet.

For those of you who are thinking this way now, I'm not saying that they should leave artificial ingredients out and replace them with natural ingredients, which I know are more expenisve. Im saying that if it is an artificial ingredient, then just leave it out of the product altogether.

Favorite Answer

Food manufacturers try to make things look the way people think they are supposed to look.

I prefer the natural color and when I make lime pies, I don't add green color. However, most people believe that lime juice is green (it isn't) and so they think a lime pie shold be light green. If the manufacturer makes the lime pie its natural color it will probably sell less. Same thing with mint. Mint doesn't turn everything bright green, but mint chocolate chip ice cream is often this sickly bright green color.

Most people don't prepare their own food so they have fallacious ideas about what food looks like.

I agree with you. I don't want extra sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and food coloring in everything.

Natural products spoil quicker, that is why the artifical flavors are needed to offset and hide the preservatives. With a more health conscious society it seems like natural products are the way to go, but there would be no canned goods and you would also be throwing out food left and right without the preservatives.

if they didnt add food coloring a lot of stuff would just look like mud. NOT very appealing.

we don't just eat with our mouths. if something is an unpleasant or unrealistic color it can effect that persons perception of taste.

Source(s): i work in a middle school kitchen and add the food color to the from scratch ckicken gravy to make it more "chiken tasting"