What's The Best Way To Find A Job After Graduation?

I am going to be graduating from Illinois State University in May 2009. I am majoring in Finance w/ a minor in International Business. At this point in my life, my main goal is to find a job. The problem is that I don't know how to start. I would love to find a job dealing with finance/investments, I.E. Fidelity, J.P Morgan, William Blair etc... Am I suppose to just send in my resume and hope for the best? Or, E-mail them first? We have two different career fairs, but most of the companies are not financed related. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Favorite Answer

Contact your local career services department at the university. They should be able to give you plenty of good leads for employment after graduating. Also, I'd start sending out my resume along with a detailed cover letter to my employers of interest. It also wouldn't be a bad idea for you to apply for some internships. Sometimes companies will offer you a full time position upon the completion of your internship assignment. Hope this helps or at leads you in the right direction.

I would give these companies a call and ask them if you can send them your resume. Send to as many as possible, because chances are you'll only hear back from 1 in 10.

These companies also advertise vacancies on the internet, try some job search websites, my dad uses them all the time and has had a lot of luck getting well paid contract work.

The main thing is persistence. Send your resume out to as many companies as you can, 50 will probably get you a few call-backs. If you get rejected, ignore it and more on, keep a high level of confidence in your abilities and don't stop trying until you get a job.

• aashis

I labored at Starbucks. Just wanted a role (after tuition). But the upside of Starbucks used to be that you simply get a butt-load of connections. I now recognise a Verizon Executive (thank you for the reduction) People in banks, obtained lots of process presents, and had a a laugh time operating. Didn't imply to make this sound like a plug for Starbucks, however espresso stores are nice areas to fulfill persons.