Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

How many copies of the Bible?

Favorite Answer

If we don't have the original biblical documents, but only possess copies (that have copyist errors), then how can we argue that the original documents were without error?

We don't need to have the original documents in order to demonstrate their inerrancy any more than a prosecutor needs a body to prove a crime has been committed. Inferences can be drawn from the evidence at hand, and a reasonable conclusion can be argued from biblical principles.

First of all, the copies definitely have errors in them, but whether or not they have errors does not necessitate that the originals did. We don't need to have the original documents in order to demonstrate their inerrancy anymore than a prosecutor needs a body to prove a crime has been committed.

Second, the Scriptures are said to be God-breathed, i.e., inspired. Second Timothy 3:16 says, "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness." The word "inspired" is 'theopneustos', God-breathed. This means that Scripture comes from God. Jesus said in Luke 24:44-45, "These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled." 45 Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures." Notice At the Scriptures are referred to as the entire Old Testament. Furthermore, Jesus said in John 10:35, “If he called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken)."

We see that Jesus speak for the entire Old Testament, to which John the apostle refers to Scripture. Then we see that Jesus said the Scripture cannot be broken. This means that it cannot fail. From this we can easily conclude that the position of Jesus is that the Scriptures, the written form, cannot fail, cannot be broken. Logically, this means that they are without error.

Third, Jesus did not deal with the issue of copyist errors. He simply stated that God's word cannot be broken. Likewise, we should take the same stance.

Fourth, Jesus did not possess the original writings, yet he said that they could not be broken and contain error.

Fifth, the New Testament is likewise considered Scripture by the Christian Church. Therefore, it falls under the purview of all Scripture being inspired of God.

Please clarify the question.....copies of the Bible or how many different translations of the Bible. The number is uncountable, over 20 million in china alone, the number is guessed to be somewhere over 6 billion Bibles sold in the world, but the exact number can never be known, and now there is Bible on video, CD, etc. So no one can know just how many copies of the Bible there are truthfully.

Source(s): Try googling your question.

Written in over 40 languages that include 2 star trek languages(for some strange reason) and Syrian Coptic and Latin

It would be very hard to know the exact amount of Bibles

guesstimated-2.5 billion copies sold since 1815

There are thousands of copies in all or part of the Bible in the original languages. They are used to help in determining correct translation in our modern English translation (NWT).

Roman Catholics have about 6 or 7 different versions alone. Protestants have hundreds.

I own most of the different versions and share extra copies with those who desire to build a personal library.

Why do you ask?

Debbie

• Md S

I have no copy of the Bible. This explains why I am not a Christian.

Rephrase your question. Did you mean how many versions of the Bible? or how many books are there in the Bible?

About 5,000,000,000 copies published in the past 200 years.

there is one but many book the king James bible is really the only true bible in the world. other bible are man made because people did not understand them an changed words in the bible or quote miss spelling but then i will have people argue with me that it not true but in my church my pastor tough us the king james bible is true bible

Exist? No idea...

Do I own? I have 3.

I have 2 NIV, and a KJV. I also have a few versions on my computer, including a concordance.

Translations number between 2,000 and 3,000.