Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 1 decade ago

Can any one show me some site or photos how dose the commercial airline pilot lives what cars do they drive w?

Can any one show me some web sites or photos how dose the Airline pilots lives what cars they have or drive in which houses they live and etc..

• Rob G
    Favorite Answer

Are you serious? There are (a lot of) poor pilots and (very few) wealthy pilots. Some drive crappy old beaters, others drive really nice cars. Some live in small apartments, others in condos, while still others in nice houses.

Most pilots live regular middle-class lifestyles. Many pilots live close to poor lifestyles. Very few live an upper class lifestyle.

It can be hard to juggle a normal home life with a pilot career. Like it was said in the other answer - you can be away from home a lot and you do not necessarily work conventional 9-5hours. Some short haul airlines (in the UK - I am not sure where you are from) can have their crew home every night, obviously in long haul you would not - you could expect to be away for a few days to a week at a time. So childcare can be hard, particularly if your partner also works unusual hours. You can get a fixed roster in many airlines however which means you can plan things well in advance.This is less likely to be the case in corporate flying as you will probably be on standby and get called away more at short notice. Certainly instructing would be a great alternative to airline flying - you can dictate your own hours and in fact a lot of people do this at weekends in addition to another permanent job as it satisfies their love of flying but does not require them to be away from home so much. With regards your age and experience -27 is not too late!!! In the airline I work for there are a large number of pilots who came to flying later on in their career. Other experience can be very beneficial to you in interviews and in the job because you need a wide variety of skills and most if not all jobs will have provided you with experience in many of these skills. In the States it is a bit harder to get an airline job because they have a minimum (I think) of 1500hrs requirement now before you can work for an airline. After finishing your training you would therefore need to work a few years as an instructor, or flying light aircraft (ordnance survey, air taxi etc etc) to build the hours before moving onto an airline. Some airlines do have a 40yrs maximum policy for new first officers because the cost of training someone needs to be balanced out by how many years useful service they can expect from them afterwards. At 27, with a maximum of 2 years to complete your training you would not even be 30... more than enough time! In the UK (if that is where you are from) it is a lot easier - there are many cadet courses you could look into for airlines which would guarantee you a job at the end of your training should you get on to one. Many airlines also take low hour pilots, particularly the likes of Ryanair and EasyJet. You could also start out on a turboprop operator and work your way up to larger aircraft. If you are in the UK then look at the GAPAN website - there is a huge amount of information on scholarships and bursaries on there. There is also the Amy Johnson Scholarship Fund which is specifically for females looking for flight training funding. On a more personal note - I am a female pilot and have so far maintained a good work life balance so it certainly is possible. There are some difficulties and having the support of your family will make raising children more easy while in this profession. Bear in mind you are not really able to fly whilst pregnant (some companies allow you to during the second trimester) so realistically you would probably have around 18months off work for a child, it is also probably a good idea to have been with an airline a year or so before taking maternity leave. Some airlines do also offer reduced work, flexible patterns and part time working for employees with young children which can help. Good luck and I hope you achieve what you want to!!

Conspicuous consumption is not a goal for most people who have chosen professional careers as pilots, and most of us couldn't care less what people think of us and our possessions.

Some airline pilots make pretty good money at the peak of their careers, but pay their dues up front by working under poor conditions for subsistence salaries for many years first.

So most pilots live in modest apartments or small houses and drive very ordinary middle class cars. I think I had one fellow pilot who drove a Lexus, and one who drove a Volvo. Hondas and Fords are much more typical.

I drove an old Chevrolet pickup truck for 20 years, and then got a Honda Civic 4-door sedan. I still drive the same Civic, and still use the old truck on my farm. Most professional pilots are in it for the love of flying, and they tend to have big savings accounts rather than fancy cars. Most are saving up for something like a farm to live on when they retire.

If you want to drive a Mercedes or a Bentley, go into the financial industry.

Have fun!

Source(s): retired Boeing 747-400 Captain, Pacific routes Love my Honda Civic

Are you kidding? Pilots drive almost all types of cars, from BMW to Ford. They live in different houses, from renting apartments to million dollar houses. If you are wondering what airline pilots get paid these days check out http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/

Major Airline pilots start out making around $40,000 their first year and will make around $150,000 - $200,000 after many years with the airline.

There is no such site.

Source(s): Pilot.

I couldn't even afford a car when I flew for my first airline. I bought a 20 year old VW Bug after awhile. Even then, it spent roughly six months of the year parked at the airport. It was ugly, but the engine was good and it didn't leak in the rain. It was also paid for! I'd have had a nicer car if I'd gotten up to the $40,000/ year payscale.

I knda wish now that I hadn't sold that car. It was a good one.

• jtexas

In my town, pilots typically start out in an apartment or smallish 3- or 4- bedroom house on a 1/4-acre lot in the suburbs, and end up in a much larger house on an acre or two in the farther out suburbs.

They typically drive ford or chevy or toyota pickups or SUV's or hondas or Lexus, or hybrids or any other vehicle you might see on the road.