How do I get an iPhone if I can't get service with At&t?

I really like the iPhone 3g, but I can't have one because I don't have service with At&t and I have to deposit $400.00 to get service started. Now I know that other service providers will introduce their own version of iPhone but it's not the same as Apple iPhone from At&t. What should I do as far as getting my hand on one? Will the other wireless service providers eventually carry the iPhone or no? Thanks for your time!

Update:

You mentioned that an lock iPhone 3G from AT&T has the visual voicemail. Can you explain what that is and how is it different than unlocked iPhone?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, internationally there are other carriers that have the iPhone 3G. As far as the US though the iPhone 3G is locked to be with AT&T until at least 2010.

However there are unlocked iPhone 3Gs available, in which case you wouldn't have to go with AT&T. Although you will loose visual voicemail, that's an AT&T exclusive with the iPhone.

A site http://myworldphone.com/ has an unlocked 3G available. Of course the price for an unlocked 3G would be higher than a locked one as the 3G unlocked as of right now is rare. So expect that. Also the Apple Store in Hong Kong also now has iPhone 3Gs unlocked available for $690 something to $790 something (8GB & 16GB respectively).

Also you could get an unlocked 2G (1st) iPhone, in which case unlocks are much easier to do & therefore more readily available.

If you get an unlocked one you wouldn't have to deal with AT&T.

Like me.

• marilu
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Nada. 2 thoroughly distinctive languages. Verizon makes use of CDMA (code branch dissimilar get admission to) and AT&T makes use of GSM (international device for cellular communique.) Like attempting to get a toaster to speak to a microwave.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.