how does a dead body smell like?

people said they can't explain the smell and it's unbearable but if you really got a close taste to how it smells like, what does it smell like? like if you had to exhume a body from the grave and open the casket?

Favorite Answer

It is worse than a dead rat! and even worser if u add fuc*ing formalin!! I have smelled a lot in our lab. Trust me in medical field.

Source(s): www.mybrain.counts

It smells like intensely rotten trash mixed with intensely rotten meat. The biggest problem is that the smell lingers for hours. You can't wash that damn smell off no matter how many showers you take. If someone dies in a room and is not removed soon, you can't just remove the body and call it good. You have to strip everything. I'm talking about everything including carpet, furniture, bedding, appliances, the building structure, and the whole 9 yards and start over unless you want to puke to that putrid smell for a very long time.

It smells like rotten trash that has been left out in the sun for 3 days and put into a small room with you. It's very concentrated, very potent. I don't know about exhuming a body from the grave, but that's what I remember from 1st yr of med school anatomy class. I would come home and couldn't eat a pizza I ordered b/c of the smell on my hands from earlier in the day. Disgusting.

Source(s): My mind at:http://rupertroo.blogspot.com/

I worked on a farm for a few years and with that many animals you'd occasionally find something dead (sometimes an animal would sneak off to die in peace and we wouldn't find it until it began to reek to high heck). And while I have never run into a dead person (thank god) in my experience all dead things smell the same, rotting meat is rotting meat regardless of how you look at it. I would think that the only reason why a human would stink any worse than any other animal is because they're larger than what most dead things people run into these days, the bigger the dead thing, the more bacteria and decomposition the bigger the stink.

• Well, you could bury some meat in your backyard and check it out after a while.

The smell of a body would be like a hundred times worse, since it's larger and there's not only muscle, but also all sorts of tissues, the brain, the digestive tract's content, connective tissue, and all that.

Anyways, decaying meat already doesn't smell good so I guess a whole corpse can only be worse.

I would say its like rotting meat... basically what we are.. right? Very strong. Putrid. A dead body produced foul gasses that are basically the cause of this as well. i can smell it on clothes when my co workers return to the office. Everything in a body that can rot (acids, half digested food, poo ect).. Plus a human is pretty big. you definitely don't forget it

like something dead hhh

just intense rott