Is it OK to leave your computer on constantly?

Apparently the Geek Squad guys told my mom she should leave the computer on all the time. I was under the impression that system performance slowly gets worse as it's left on. Is it really OK to have it on all the time?

Oh, I forgot to add - since I've heard both answers before, I would *really* like to know *why* it is or isn't OK, not just that it is or isn't.

• Jag
    Favorite Answer

It's merely personal preference. And whether you want to pay a little bit more for the electric bill.

1) Geek Squad has a wide variety of experience levels. They may do a very good job of fixing your immediate issue. They may not.

2) System performance will not decrease as you leave a system on, unless you have a program running that has a memory leak. This is a fairly common issue in these days of QA as an afterthought.

3) If the system starts to behave poorly reboot it.

4) Your average system uses about the same amount of electricity as a light bulb. More if you have a gaming system. If you don't mind the $5/month extra leave it on. If you do, turn it off.

5) Turning a system on and off repeatedly puts a higher strain on the components of the system. Most systems get tossed long before they actually have a hardware failure. So this is NOT a valid reason to leave systems on at this time.

There have been times when this answer was completely different than now. Next year the correct answer may be different again.

• ricky

Some instance if we refer to hardware issues, it will shorten your computer life. Computer needs some rest like people.Capacitors and some motherboard components need to lower down the supply of current inside of it It overhead also and can cause to become busted. Mostly happen, HDD become overhead and can cause to crash. It's not advisable to on your computer all day long.Its also good not to stay your computer on, you can save more money form electrictiy bill.

• No. it shortens the life and hardware that's inside your computer. plus if you turn if off at night it will save you some money on your electric bill.

I do when I download while I sleep. Then when I'm awake I'm on it for 16 hours. I'm an addict to computers.

no its not it can make your computer crash