very little breastmilk...and baby underweight..pls help?

hi i just gave birth to a baby boy...problem is he is very little weighing only 2.4kg and i have very little breastmilk like only 10ml when i express...i am very worried what if i cant breastfeed but my baby wants more of my breast.he sucks at least an hour.is there something wrong with me.i am very worried for the baby.

• I've found that the amount of breast milk mom's express with a pump and what actually can go into a baby's tummy isn't always equal. It's not abnormal for a baby to nurse for an hour at a time. Sometimes I think they just like the comfort. A good indicator of your baby's food intake are your baby's wet and soiled diapers. You could also try weighing your baby prior to feeding, and after a feeding to see how much he is getting.

Not all moms are able to breastfeed without supplementing with formula, but the majority are able to. Call your baby's pediatrician to see if he's being well nourished and your local La Leche League for breastfeeding support.

It takes a few days like 3 to 4 for your breastmilk to come in. Your baby is very small and her stomach cannot hold large amounts of breastmilk. However this is the best that you can do for her. You can supplement but most newborns only consume 20 to 40 ml. You will have to nurse every one to 2 hours.

How old exactly is your baby? In the beginning there's a very little volume of milk (actually it's called colostrum, very nutritious super-food full of antibodies), unless you really have to don't express, feed your baby naturally. In a few days or a week your milk supply will increase with your baby's demand, he will also be able to hold more in his stomach. Just keep checking for wet nappies like the previous post suggested. Best of luck to both of you

Your baby is much more efficient at expressing breast milk than any pump could be! Unless you have to, I would focus on feeding from the breast right now so you can establish a good supply.

YES, he will stay on there for insane amounts of time. My daughter used to take no less than 45 minutes to nurse, and she was nursing every hour, hour & 15 mins.

It just takes time for them to learn how to "work" everything. As long as he is making 6 wet diapers a day he is getting enough milk.

As a side note, I feel like I should tell you that, for me, breastfeeding was the hardest, most time consuming, and emotional endeavor I have ever taken on... EVER!!! BUT -- I was lucky enough to have a supportive husband and a kiddo kind enough to let us work out the kinks because now, it's all gravy baby! It will be for you too.

YOU'RE DOING GREAT MOMMY!

The baby can get a lot more out than you can express, don't go by what you pump. He probably takes a long time because he hasn't got the hang of it yet. If he's still hungry immediately after nursing (not drinking expressed milk) then you might have a supply problem. Remember to drink lots of water!

if it has only been a couple of days since birth your milk may not have come in yet....

also manual expression or even the pump cannot get out as much milk as the baby can

moreover, your baby needs to nurse often more than every 3 hours... as often as he wants

and

newborns when nursing during don't necessarily take alot at each feeding those first few days they just nurse often....

keep yourself hydrated and well fed and don't stress... baby will pick up on that

as long as he is peeing and you get plenty wet diapers you are fine...

talk to a la leche league consultant llli.org

or

your hospital lacation consultant

This is when ir kills me how women are misinformed about breastfeeding. Number one, how odl is your baby? You have to realize that the first 3 to 5 days the baby is only getting colostrum and a very small amount of it. After that you make transitional and then matur emilk. It is typical to take 1 to 2 weeks for your mature milk come in completely and even then it can take up to 6 or more weeks for your milk to match your babies demands. During the first sveral weeks your body is getting the hang of things so you cannot expect to express large amounts or even for your baby to feel full and sleep well. Breastfed babies nurse ALOT the first few weeks because of this. They are constantly hungry and they are stimulating your body to meet their needs. All of this perfectly normal and no cause for alarm. Unless your baby is actually losing weight, there is no need o worry. Thats why the doctor says the baby should reach it's birht weight by two weeks old, because it is expected that they will lose some while your milk supply is regulating itself. Just nurse on demand and all will be fine. It took nearly 8 weeks for my supply to settle and my baby to get full enough to go a few hours between feeds.

• wiXet

How often to you directly breastfeed? This is much more effecient at producing milk than pumping. Sucking for an hour can be quite common in newborns. Make sure he is actually sucking and not just falling asleep.

Does your baby have lots of wet nappies?

How old is your baby...milk can take 3 - 5 days to come in.

How old is he? The baby can get much more milk from your breast than a pump. Maybe your milk hasn't come in yet? Babies love being on your breast even if they aren't feeding, they enjoy the closeness and sucking action. It is very unlikely you wouldn't make enough milk so I would try to relax, if he is settled he is probably getting what he needs.

• Em

Don't panic! Just the fact you're thinking about it means your doing your mummy job!

Theres lots of good ideas here, I just wanted to add that if you get stuck at all the NCT helpline are great (you don't have to be a member)

Breastfeeding Line - 0870 444 8708

8am–10pm, seven days a week

to talk to a qualified breastfeeding counsellor for information and support to help you breastfeed successfully