What is the Christian view on Agnosticism?

I am an agnostic. I am typically confused with atheists, but this represents a misunderstanding of the difference between knowledge and belief.

The atheist views a lack of empirical evidence as proof that God does not exist. As any theist will tell you, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Thus the atheist doesn't know that God does not exist, but he believes it.

By the same token, the theist believes in the existence of God. Although there is no evidence to support the claim that God does not exist, the absence of evidence against the existence of God is not evidence of God's existence.

As an agnostic, I acknowledge that there is no evidence to support a conclusion either way. God can neither be proven nor disproven, thus the answer to the question of God's existence is inherently unknowable. As an agnostic I don't attempt to prove or disprove the existence of God, and in fact view the question as completely irrelevant.

I'm just curious how this point of view is seen by Christians in light of the fact that atheists and theists are so often at odds with eachother. How do you feel about agnostics?

@Wretched, isn't it: With respect, an atheist is not a "fencesitter". They've chosen to believe that God does not exist.

I suppose you could call me a fencesitter because I support neither atheism nor theism. But your statement implies a conflict between two sides, wherein a person must choose one side or the other. Could you explain why there must be a conflict?

@vidaloca: I haven't chosen not to believe. Belief is a choice. Knowledge (or lack of knowledge) is not. If you believe that God exists, then you should approximate my stance as that of a person who doesn't know God, but neither am I opposed to knowing God.

@sage: It's true that an agnostic can believe either way if they wish to. But there is a difference between belief and knowledge. Knowledge requires empirical evidence, of which there is none in this case. Belief has no such requirement, and thus the agnostic can believe whatever he likes. My own personal "belief" on the matter is that I can't believe when I know that there's no evidence either way.

I never made any judgements about an atheist's morality. I spoke only of their belief that God does not exist.

In science, experiments must be falsifiable. In other words, in order to be scientifically testable, the subject must possess the possibility of being proven false by observation or experiment. The existence of God does not meet these requirements.

Favorite Answer

I pray for you all. When and where it counts, both views and opinions are sad. God is a spirit and his existance can only be verified through spirit. Until you (any agnostic, atheist, or anyone for that matter) seek God in spirit, the reality is you'll never really know. It's a waste of time to try and figure God without his spirit.

God's Peace

You are so confused!!

The fact is that both in science and academia the lack of any evidence at all IS taken to show that something does not exist until some verifiable evidence is found!!

Your claims for what atheists are is corrupt and they would not say what you claim!!

ATHEIST - someone who does not believe in a God – any God – not just the Christian one. But that does not mean they do not hold strong moral or religious beliefs! They can follow any religion that does not have a god and there are a lot of those!!

Like BUDDHISM – Religious teaching from Buddha and his followers that by destroying greed, hatred and delusion (the cause of all suffering) man can attain perfect enlightenment!!

You also pervert the definition of agnostic and make false claims!!

AGNOSTIC – Does not believe anything can be know about or proved about a god. Thus they can still believe a god exists. This description obviously fits a lot of Christians!!!

Without Christians being so intolerant on no believers and resorting to trying to force their religion on others and persecuting those that believe differently to them there would be no conflict!!

As a Christian, I view Agnostics as simply a lost soul. Someone who has never experienced the incredible power of the Holy Spirit. The only thing I would ask you is; How can you not believe that someone or something created the incredible complexity that is the universe? How can you possible fathom that for billions of years there was nothing and then for no apparent reason, it all began? It is not possible.

I believe the main reason many theists and atheists are at each others' necks is because many people from both sides are constantly trying to shove their belief down the others' throat.

There are also varying types of atheists, just as there are varying types of theists. Some employ a "live and let live" attitude and will respect your opinions. Others are far more fanatical and will jump to obscene conclusions without really knowing anything about what they are talking about. Though, you see far more of the fanatical attitude from theists than you do atheists.

As an atheist, I honestly could care less about convincing others to believe what I do. I actually don't want everyone to share my beliefs. Variety keeps the world interesting. I just wish more theists would practice the compassion that they preach. It would keep most atheists from lashing out at them.

I think evidence of God's existence is abundant and far outweighs the non-existent evidence for his non-existence.

Christians view agnostics as people who are lost. It's that simple. They are in the same boat as all unsaved sinners.

Chris, demons? so it seems we are unable to choose things for ourselves, since all bad things come from demons and all good things come from Jesus? I thought that was the kind of world that Satan wanted to create and God said no way to. Wasn't the point of free will (which Satan opposed) to give people the opportunity to prove their worthiness to God by making the right choices and gaining access to Heaven? Sheesh, I'm not even Christian and I know that much about your religion... :)

Source(s): my opinion

*coughcoughlookaroundyoucoughcough*

I find evidence for God's existence in Creation and science.

oh, and I use logic too.

Imagine that.

Though I respect your view and the right to believe in whatever you wish, I must still view it as... well... I can't say it's true. But I can't exactly say it's false either.

I'm one of those who find evidence in creation. But then, isn't that the evidence Atheists use to prove my God exists, and that their god "science" knows everything there is to know?

My view as a Christian on both Agnosticism and Atheism:

Both are lost and confused (as they have a foot in both camps) and since there is abundant evidence for God's existence, they will reject it out of hand. They have already formed a conception as to what is acceptable or not. Therefore their lost status and confusion is a deliberate choice...

Faith in God existed long before Atheism, Agnosticism and Evolutionism...

I'd imagine it'd be the same as an atheist's view: Namby-pamby, uncommitting fencesitter.

I'm not sure what agnostism means.

But if it means: "you don't beleive jesus was god in the flesh and died in our place" then it's wrong in my eyes.