How do I get over a phobia of bugs?

Now, I'm not afraid of spiders, because they're quite cool and they eat all those icky insects, but there are quite a few bugs that really freak me out. If a moth flies into me, I'll spaz a bit, then chill and let my cats eat it. I can handle killings flies and ants, and the occasional beetle, but things like earwigs freak me right out. Just tonight, I discovered a many legged thing that was either a centipede or a millipede, I tossed a jar over it and had my dad capture it and send it out (because they're great predators). I do try to learn about these bugs so that I can conquer my fear, but as my dad held it up to the light and started talking about it, I freaked out and did the 'scared of bugs' dance in the other room. He mentioned that the specimen we found was harmless and helpful (and also rare in our parts) but the converse got much larger and would bite. Now all night I've been picturing that horrible tunnel scene from Willy Wonka and thinking that one of those little buggers is gonna crawl up a drain at me or appear on my leg. I realize that the peaceful version is more afraid of me than I am of it, but I can't stop picturing them as menacing and I'm still not ready to go to sleep. If any one has an idea to help be rid myself of these stupid ideas, please share them. Thank you very much!

Favorite Answer

As much as you may not want to, find some harmless ones and touch them is my recommendation.

There are two different words fear and phobia. Is it a phobia or a fear. An elephant comes to crash you feel afraid, scared or whatever = this is fear. An ant comes to crash you you feel afraid, scared or whatever = this is phobia. If there is phobia there is always a solution. Ask a psychotherapist to advice you or to help you solving this issue. Sensitiveness has positive meaning. Keep in confidence and faith. You are just Great.

Kind Regards from Greece

I didn't read your novel. But a phobia can only be overcomed by facing it. You are afraid of bugs? Then you must them. Eventually you'll get use to presence and the fear will wear off.

tou dont. bugs are creepy.

eat one.

Source(s): <:)