promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

URGENT!could you tell me who said the words 'People get the government they deserve'?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Thomas Jefferson AND Alexis de Tocqueville AND William Shakespere AND Hunter. s. Thompson

[1]In a Democracy, the people get the government they deserve - Alexis de Tocqueville -

[2]If the citizenry do not hold their officials to standards, then any government gets our of hand. So the question goes beyond taxation, and becomes how can we ever have a sound government, and the answer is by a principled populace. As has been said by Jefferson and Tocqueville, people get the government they deserve.

[3]What worries me though is the following quotation penned by Shakespeare in Julius Caesar: "Cassius suggests that the people get the government they deserve…". This can be a good thing, if (and it’s a big “if”) the people do their homework and vote based on facts, not on rumor or innuendo.

[4]In a Democracy, The People Get the Government They Deserve. - Hunter S. Thompson

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Is this the quote you are referring to? It's very close as far as wording goes. Otherwise someone may have seen this quote and said that, but I'm not sure who that would have been. Hope this is helpful and sorry if it isn't.

"Every country has the government it deserves"

-Joseph de Maistre (Written on August 15, 1811)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

H.L. Mencken

• terrianda26 years agoReport

you are right nodakmama

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

benjamin franklin?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

you are right nodakmama

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.