Douglas N asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 decade ago

Poll, Raiders 76 yard field goal attempt two seconds left before the half, smart move or bone head move?

Me bone head move: These raider fans believe it was genius, dont htey realize the things that could have gone wrong in that bone head stunt, with low projectory needed to make that field goal it could have been blocked , a charger recovery into the end zone, not alone a simple block could have given them allthe momentum needed for start of the second half. Why not just pooch kick, or snap the ball and run around until you about to get tackled and take a knee. STUPID is my vote.

I agree Iron, and think he got word of his pink slip and wanted to leave the ame with a lasting impression on Al Davis legacy, good one too, disrespect me and my commitment to excellence and I'll disrespect you.. If thats the true motivation, then thumbs ups to Kifflin

Favorite Answer

By far the dumbest call I've ever seen, Russells got a hell; of an arm why not go for a Hail Mary and hope your teammate can catch it in the endzone, rather than kick it for 76 yards for fun, and allow cromartie to recover, cromartie had a chance to run fopr another TD off a field goal... That's Lane Kiffin for ya

GO BOLTS!

Not a meaningless field goal at all. They still had about 10 seconds left and it was a two score game. As much of a long shot as that is, its the right call. You take the three while there is time left for an onside kick, whereas if you dropped back and threw it deep the clock would expire not allowing you to try the onside kick. Clearly a ridiculous long shot, and a terrible ending to a terrible game, but for once a heady call by the Raiders coaching staff. And that would have covered the spread, but none of the coaches making that decision could make a bet larger than their NFL paycheck, so it seems unlikely the Raiders were thinking of covering the 9. Besides if they were caught betting on games they would clearly and immediately be ousted from the NFL. That seems to risky. And even the Raiders wouldn't bet on the Raiders!

Not a move I would have made only because it was into the wind. If he had the wind at his back I'd say why not try it. When Tom Dempsey attempted his 63 yarder for the Saints people thought it was crazy. It just shows that Lane Kiffen has a set in his shorts, because you know it probably drove Davis nuts. It was worth it just to drive Davis crazier than he already is.

Hey why not try for it! There was 1 second left on the clock before half time. The ball is going to go where is going to go after the half it doesn't matter what you do before that so why not try and see what happens. The stupid thing that happend is the Raiders lost all the momentum they had in the first half!

• Geoff

Most definetly a bone head move, that made me laugh. They could've ran out that last second, or go for a deep pass. And it also gave the Chargers a chance to return the ball.

It was stupid they could have kneeled the ball or let time run out instead of calling a timeout. They could have punted it out of bounds.Well Kiffin only did it to get under Al Davis's skin.

i saw nothing wrong it was worth a try a hail mary pass is just as likely.

a kicker taken in the first round of a draft should be able to hit a fg from anywhere on the field

• wait...

the raiders attempted a 76 yard field goal? with Cromartie on the otherside?

ROFLMAO

thats what that earns. i used a term used by Weird Al in a rap song.

• Ron-D

its a no call, they knew the coverage was gonna drop if they go for a pass play, so why not try to set a record on FG

i thought it was genius! lane kiffin had the balls to pretty much tell al davis to f off lol!

Source(s): myself