Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 1 decade ago

What to do about school absence?

My daughter has had quite a lot of time off school and I recieved a letter from the Authorities last year. Now she's had more time off, she's generally sick but I'm worried I will get in MORE trouble with the Authorities. What can we do? Write a letter or call the school? I can't make her go in school sick so we need help please?

Favorite Answer

letters from the pediatrician to show she was sick. everytime she is absent she needs a doctor's excuse.

Get a doctor's note every time, they can't get you in trouble if you've got proof she really is sick. Parents' notes don't count after a certain time. Also, when she's going to be late due to a doctor's appointment and you don't know whether she'll be at school after or not, call the school first and tell them you'll call them again once you know more yourself.

Also, the idea another user put forward for someone to bring home her homework and stuff so she doesn't fall behind is good, especially if she misses several days at a time. If you can't talk to the teachers, have one of her class mates bring by the work she has to complete, so that if she's well enough, she's got something to do.

in your position, i would call both the authorities and the school and just explain your situation.

better safe then sorry. and theyd be understanding towards the situation im sure when they understand what you and your daughter are going through with her being ill.

you might want to go to the doctors and question whats actually wrong, because it sounds pretty serious if you have had this much time off.

goodluck

i wish you all the best

well, make sure she isn't faking sick; my sister tends to do that a lot. or just make her go to school sick if she can. she doesn't have to be there the whole day, but being late or leaving early is probably better than missing an entire day. have her take medicine or anitbiotics...hope this helps.

ive had experience with school refusal, i missed 50 days of school last year. what you should ask for, is a teacher at the school to go to your house everyday or two, and give her work that other teachers expect her to do. so ask her who her favorite teacher is, and ask that teacher to stop at the house every day or two, and ask him/her to bring work from other teachers!!!

good luck!

get a letter from the pediatrician

get a sick leave