Possible explanation for white on tongue as well as red bumps?

About a week ago I noticed that my tongue was quite white. It would not come off, nor did it hurt. I must admit that when it comes to dental hygiene, I mainly just brush. But after I noticed the white stuff, I started to floss and use mouth rinse. A lot of it's gone, but now there are little red bumps way up towards the base of my tongue.

What are the possible explanations for this? I need to be sure before I go to the doctor and fill out paperwork. Lawlz.

Favorite Answer

Talk to your doctor about possible thrush (oral yeast infection).

Your tongue could be coated for many reasons. One main reason is poor oral hygiene. Your tongue needs to be brushed too! The taste buds on your tongue can retain stain, and become coated. Another possible cause of a white tongue is a fungal infection. If the white stuff is going away with just brushing its probably not a fungal infection. As far as the little red bumps, are you sure they havent always been there? Most people don't even notice they have large taste buds called circumvallate papilla. Look closely, if they are towards the base of your tongue, circular and kind've in a "v" shape with the point of the "v" going towards the back of your throat, those are just your bigger taste buds.

Source(s): RDH