A question about Lowering my Mustang.?

I want to know if it is possible to lower a 2003 mustang v6 with 20 inch rims. what is a safe drop for my car. Please recommend Springs as well. Finally will i have to buy spring isolators?

Favorite Answer

Don't cut your springs, It can pose a problem or endanger you or others!

The easiest and safest way is to buy the springs to get the drop you want, Steeda and BBK offer springs with a drop from 1"-1 1/4" for the front and rear. 20's will fit but clearance is an issue when turned lock to lock. Buy the new isolators, as long as you have it all apart you may as well change them.

First of all, let me preface this with I don't know anything about the clearance of 20" wheels, or why they'd be on a Mustang, but at any rate...

I have a 99 (same platform) and used Ford C Springs to lower mine about an inch and a half. I did cut a half of a coil off of the rear springs to even out the drop. It's something that can be done in a garage IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING! Some components of the brake system will need to be removed, and that could leave you up a creek if you can't or don't re-install them correctly. I did mine with friends who were all auto savvy, but would suggest you take it to a shop. I have 17" Cobra R wheels on my Mustang, and have no issues with clearance, even with the wheels turned to full lock. Again, let me reiterate that I don't know how that would work with your 20" wheels.

Spring isolators are something I did not need, but you will after about a year (or less) need new shocks and/or struts. It makes sense to change all of that out while you are in there.

You may also want to check out the Mustang site I've listed in my source. It's ran by a friend of mine and incredibly helpful. If you don't like it, there are many many many Mustang sites on the web. Good luck!

***edit*** cutting your springs CAN cause a problem, but not if you know what you're doing. On C springs, there is a dead coil. It doesn't do anything. Removing half of the dead coil doesn't affect the integrity of the spring. Besides, it's nothing like Jesse James taking a blow torch to the springs and heating them up to get the drop he wanted.

Source(s): My own car, www.mustangevolution.com

Most shops would say 1 to 1.5 in drop is fine, New springs new isolators.

Source(s): performancecenter.com Eibach springs are my choice.