mrnoname asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

My ex left a disturbing blurb on her myspace, should I respond to her?

Trying to distance myself somewhat from her, our relationship was about three years long and ended badly when I broke it off because of her betrayal. I am aware though that she is shy and prone to depression and panic attacks but she'd benefit from learning not to be more independant (not to mention not biting the hand that feeds her). Anyway checked her myspace a day ago, it was updated a week ago with only this in the about me section:

"The so-called 'psychotically depressed' person who tries to kill herself doesn't do so out of quote 'hopelessness' or any abstract conviction that life's assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire's flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It's not desiring the fall; it's terror of the flames. And yet nobody on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling 'Don't!' and 'Hang on!', can understand the jump. Not really. You'd have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling." —David Foster Wallace (1962-2008), Infinite Jest

----------------

Should I say something? Hard to judge if it's a cry for attention or a genuine threat. I consider the reasons I broke up with her to be very good reasons though and I try not to get caught up in too much drama. Though this seems like it could be important. She posted this a week ago but she is still listed as logging in in the days since so pretty sure she hasn't done anything.

I meant we were together for three years. I broke up with her around January.

• curlyQ

I wouldn't recommend responding to her post on myspace. It would be taking a couple of steps back, for both of you, and would only hurt. While a part of her (and maybe you) might enjoy that reassurance in the short-term, it isn't the wisest decision right now.

I don't know her (obviously). But it's quite possible that she knows that you read her posts & that she's trying to manipulate you by making you feel empathy. That's possible. Or, maybe she's at a big low in her life. I'd assume that you two still share some friends...perhaps you can encourage one to check on her (to make sure she is okay? If she isn't okay, take her in for treatment). Hopefully, your ex is being treated for her depression and will soon start to feel better about herself & her life.

Do try to keep your space for now, to protect yourself though. Best wishes to you both!

Source(s): personal experience- major recurrent depression

sounds to me that she just hit a low point. Shes in a low mood, and shes voicing her feelings. Which is very therapeutic. I didnt take that as a cry for help but a voicing of her opinions. She understands and agrees with this quote. Dont read to deeply into it. If shes the emotional type, take this as her being emotional

Its a cry for attention.

Anytime someone posts something like that, it is because they want someone to notice and come running.

She needs to learn to stand on her own two feet and get help on her own.

Don't feed into her games. She's big enough to get help. And you can't be a therapist.

Ignore it and stop watching her page.

Source(s): medic
  • Dr T

if i were you i would ignore it. she has probably developed other disasters in her life since you and hearing from you might make things worse rather than being the cure. is there any family member of hers you could call and let them know the situation so they can intervene and keep you out of it?

its a moan for attention, but seriously man: she has been your ex for 3 YEARS!!!! move.on. it's not healthy for you to be living in the past, let her do whatever she wants. it's not up to you anymore you can't do anything to stop it if she does anything.