Are all other mums so darn perfect?

So much criticism all the time when people asking for advice with their babies. It seems that 99% of women are perfect textbook mothers and I don't really see how this is possible. Do you really do the 'right' thing ALL the time?

• Kylie
    Favorite Answer

Hell No - i dont know or do the right thing all the time - i just hope that i do.

Those mothers whom seem text book perfect are probably thinking they are, but in actual fact - are not. No-One on this green earth is perfect

Nobody does the right thing all the time, but mothers with lots of experience have often made many mistakes and have learned what works and what doesn't.

I have 3 children and 2 step-children, so if I add up all the Mommy-years of experience I have (lets see 32+29+11=72, plus 13 years mothering my two step-children, I have a total of 97 "Mommy-Years" under my belt, plus being a Grandmother and Foster-Parent).

If I had not learned a thing or two in that time, there would be something wrong!

When my first baby was born, I brought him home from the hospital and fed him whenever he cried during the first night home. I wasn't sure if he was getting enough breast milk, so I fed him every time he whimpered - it didn't occur to me that his diapers were soaking wet and needed changing every hour because he was drinking so much milk! I didn't have the experience to know that, but I learnt.

We were all new mothers once and those who answer these questions should be patient with new Moms!

Nobody does the right thing all the time but at least they try. I am a mom and I try to be the best mom named Mrs Payne I may or may not acheieve that goal all the time but I try. Life is a learning experience especially with children sometimes you mess up and do the wrong thing but as long as you learn from your experience means you are trying and next time the situation comes up you can do the right thing. My daughter is three this month and I am still learning how to do the right things and my parents are still learning and all their children are grown but the have lots of grandchildren. Good luck and don't worry nobody is perfect. Just try to be prepared for everything but situation is perdictable 100%.

Source(s): Personal experience

I know I'm far from a perfect mother. I do the best that I can though. I have my own way of raising my children and it is far from text book! I'm pro-spanking and we might eat dinner at 4pm one day and then eat dinner at 7pm the next day. I don't do laundry everyday and we sleep with the TV on all night. My son is 12 months and 3 weeks old and uses bottles for milk and sucks on binkies, my daughter sucked on a binky til she was almost 2 1/2 years old. Every parent has their own 'system' that works for them that others may look down on. I'm sure that the people who wrote the books on parenting weren't the perfect parents either.

Source(s): mom of 2 and #3 on the way

Hell no!!! We can do but our best, being a parent is one of the biggest learning curves ever. I reckon I'm a pretty good mum but I'm on my second child who is 3 years now and I'm still learning. No such thing as a text book or perfect mother. You will know what is right for your child not anyone else as all children are different!

I have noticed a lot of sarcasm. I think mom's do what's right for them and their babies. Not so much that its the perfect answer in someone else's case. But it is only advice and not the rule of mother hood.

Most mothers love their kids and would do anything to see them grow in to a good person. Therefore before the baby is born they probably read lots of books on how to raise their kids.

When I give advice, I give ideas on what works for me and my child. I make suggestions. Then it's up to the person who asked to either take it or leave it. I won't pretend I am perfect.

• Definitely not. I think being a mother is the one thing that can knock someone that thinks their "perfect" off of their pedestal real fast. Its a learning experience...

Source(s): me :)

I have a 7mth old who changes the goal posts every time we think we have him figured out.

We developed our own theory when he was born - you can't be wrong because we don't know what wrong is - ie. do your best and don't criticise yourself