sky asked in TravelAsia PacificTaiwan · 1 decade ago

Why do people from Taiwan remove their shoes before entering a house?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • blue
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Basic Courtesy - Not to dirty the owners house.

• 1 decade ago

Yes Sky, the others hv said it: it's Asian culture, not peculiar to Taiwan alone. :-)

In fact, besides the shoes, Asians do also practise removing their hats/ caps etc upon entering a home. Even the police & military personnel.

Other than being an act of practical & basic hygiene, removing one's shoes (& hat) is also a display of humility from the visitor, n respect for the host.

After one removes one's footwear, an extension of this practice is that the host will respond by offering the visitor a pair of slippers to wear while in the home. Or even lead the visitor to hv a quick wash of their feet, warm & tired from footwear n travelling.

Hope this helps.

TA :-)

TaipeiDreams.com

• 1 decade ago

it's not just Taiwan, it's most of the other Asian Countries as well.

You remove your shoes before entering a house because you won't track in dirt from the outside and also out of respect.

• 1 decade ago

It would be funny for you see this when you went over friends' house, right? It is the similar as I saw my American roomate while studying abroad lying on her bed with sneakers on her foots. I can't get it as well. But I knew it is a part of culture.

Like the other people answers, then you already know why... but I would like to tell you that once if you got change to go to visit Japan, then you will experience more. You got to take off your sleepers where you usually wear in the house and change to another sleepers when you go to toilet or bathroom or the outdoor and laundry room... That is really something for me to experience their different culture...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Its not just Taiwanese people but many Asians do that. Its a cultural thing because we don;t want to during thr house.

You wear your shoes around the dirt and ground outside and when you go home or someone else house, you want to respect their house and keep it clean. You dont want to dirty there house with the shoes that you walked everywhere with right???

Thats how I think it is and plus im Asian.

I dont want my house dirty

• kriend
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It is the custom of the country, the same as Japan, Korea, Thailand and a few others.

After living in Seoul, Korea for 3 years, we brought the custom back home with us and have followed the custom ever since. Keeps our home a lot cleaner. We expect our guests to do the same-a gesture of respect.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

In practically every Taiwanese home, as in Japan, guests are requested to remove their shoes even though the host may insist that you dont have to (but that is just a false courtesy). The host has slippers lying right at the door after you remove your shoes! Taiwanese pride themselves in maintaining a clean floor at home.

• 1 decade ago

In my experience, to make me ruin my clean socks on someone's dirty floor. I realize that the idea is to keep dirty shoes out of the house, but in practice it doesn't always work that way.

Source(s): living in Taiwan
  • 1 decade ago

To keep the outside dirt and stuff out of the house.

• 1 decade ago

Hey! Hey!! TA- Welcome to the Yahoo Answers

It is also important to have those house slippers ready for guests. I have seen many a "wet" foot print tracking the floor from sweaty feet!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.