Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

Do amoral people actually exist?

My english teacher and I had a little debate.

Immoral is knowing right from wrong, and acting against it.

Amoral is having no qualities and not differentiating between right and wrong. Ceased to have ever existed.

She says amoral people do exist out there, but rare numbers.

I say that it is impossible. People who aren't born into civilization can at least have morals. It's survival instinct, knowing right from wrong. Every child is born with something that 'clicks', and can differentiate between right and and wrong. It is programmed in us a humans naturally.

Can amoral people exist? I think it a natural function. Knowing right from wrong. What do you think?

Hallwoman:

Serial killers would be immoral. They would know what they are doing is wrong, but acting against human values.

Favorite Answer

I found "G's" response interesting in that was part of the answer I was going to give.

I was involved with a man for two years that I loved better than anything in this world. But as time went by I began to see that He was not who and what He said He was. I couldn't figure it out until about six months after I broke up with Him then one night, when looking up some psychological terms, I ran across "sociopath" and as i read what a sociopath was it dawned on me that's what my significant other was.

He preached one thing--but He only talked the talk. He did not walk the walk and that was what I was picking up on throughout O/our relationship. Sadly, he was amoral. He hurt a lot of people with His behavior, me included. But at least I now understand why.

Amoral People

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Do amoral people actually exist?

I say that it is...

Source(s): amoral people exist: https://biturl.im/iVOnm

If you are not raised with any stimulation from birth, not ever talked to, tied up like an animal, treated poorly, then yes, you can never develop morals. You are like a dog and don't know right from wrong any more than a wild animal does. But I think the only way to be amoral is to be this way, so in this sense I agree with your teacher. But I will say that I agree with you in the sense that someone can't be raised as a human being and be amoral. Immoral, yes. Hope I could help:) Bye!

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awt5t

""What is the point of our Test when we Know there is 1 God who is going to put us in Hell if we do wrong things" ...you really think even 1 moron will disobey?" So you're saying God wants people to disobey him? And that rather than make itself known, and tell us what arbitrary whims it wants obeyed, we have to guess or take the word of some iron age pederasts or sexually repressed deviant con artists? Clearly someone ascribes to the amoral side of the euthyphro dilemma. What makes them think I would obey their supposed cosmic tyrant? I'd hope I'd pass the dignity test instead of the "jump through the omnipotent crybaby's hoops" test. Sorry to go off on that red herring. If a god existed and they were some sadistic mind-****** they might get their jollies playing the Cartesian demon and then torturing people who didn't guess right. I guess that's not really a "need", but that's how I see the "life is a mere sycophancy test" mindset.

• Morality is subjective.

Therefore amorality has to be subjective as well.

Over the centuries we have redefined morality over and over.

A good example is someone who kills women and children as

part of their duties.

I'm sure the Nazis that killed gypsies and jews felt they were moral. They were following state policy, and also many were religious and the church went along as well.

I believe you are right. It is impossible to starve yourself inside of a grocery store, not because you are scared to steal, but because it is against the moral of nature, which is to survive. Also people who believe that only the strong are amoral, show weakness, for their inability to adapt with civilization.

• "G"

Amoral people would be sociopaths. Ask your teacher what she thinks of that or if that's what she is talking about. If not, I disagree with her entirely.

The prisons are full of amoral people. Serial killers are considered amoral....

Someone "not born into civilization," eh? You mean like a feral child? What is their moral code? From the admittedly brief reading I've done about them, they are not aware of the needs of others and have no concept of morals, property or possessions, and thus no guilt. They show no empathy.