Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

good suspence, mystery, thriller, spooky book?

been reading a ton of Dean Koontz, need something to change it up. Something that is a real page turner.....

Favorite Answer

Hi!

The House on the Borderland , The Ghost Pirates or The Night Land written by William Hope Hodgson .

:0)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hop...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House_o...

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/10002

"In 1877, two gentlemen, Messrs Tonnison and Berreggnog, head into Ireland to spend a week fishing in the village of Kraighten. While there, they discover in the ruins of a very curious house a diary of the man who had once owned it. Its torn pages seem to hint at an evil beyond anything that existed on this side of the curtains of impossibility. This is a classic novel that worked to slowly bridge the gap between the British fantastic and supernatural authors of the later 19th century and modern horror fiction. Classic American horror writer H. P. Lovecraft lists this and other works by Hodgson among his greatest influences."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ghost_P...

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/10966

"The Ghost Pirates . . . is a powerful account of a doomed and haunted ship on its last voyage, and of the terrible sea-devils (of quasi-human aspect, and perhaps the spirits of bygone buccaneers) that besiege it and finally drag it down to an unknown fate. With its command of maritime knowledge, and its clever selection of hints and incidents suggestive of latent horrors in nature, this book at times reaches enviable peaks of power." — H.P. Lovecraft

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_L...

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/10662

The Night Land

by William Hope Hodgson

[O]ne of the strangest visions ever published in science fiction or fantasy is presented. The Sun has gone out: the Earth is lit only by the glow of residual vulcanism. The last few millions of the human race are gathered together in a gigantic metal pyramid, the Last Redoubt, probably the first arcology in literature, under siege from unknown forces and Powers outside in the dark. These are held back by a Circle of energy, known as the "air clog," powered from the Earth's internal energy. For millennia, vast living shapes - the Watchers - have waited in the darkness near the pyramid: it is thought they are waiting for the inevitable time when the Circle's power finally weakens and dies. Other living things have been seen in the darkness beyond, some of unknown origins, and others that may once have been human.¡ª Excerpted from The Night Land on Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

=^,,^=

James Patterson's series of Alex Cross novels are definite page turners, but they aren't spooky.

Richard North Patterson has written a bunch of novels that aren't a true series, but involve a recurring group of characters. My favorite of his books is a murder mystery/legal thriller titled "Eyes of a Child."

If you like contemporary mysteries that have just a touch of supernatural in them, try Sharyn McCrumb's "Ballad" novels.

- If Ever I Return, Pretty Peggy

- The Hangman's Beautiful

- She Walks These

- The Rosewood Casket

- The Ballad of Frankie Silver

- The Songcatcher

- Ghost Riders

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (a twist at the end that leaves you breathless!)

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffeneger (have a box of tissues handy)

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (She meshes Bram Stoker's 'Dracula' with the historical Vlad the Impaler and tosses in vampire legends to make a thoroughly fabulous read)

If you're into urban fantasy, which blends mystery/thriller/suspense with a cast of characters that stars witches, wizards, werewolves, vampires, pixies, fairies, elves, and demons, and that have a good dollop of humor in them, try these:

Kim Harrison's "The Hollows" series:

- Dead Witch Walking

- The Good, the Bad, and the Undead

- Every Which Way but Dead

- A Fistful of Charmes

- For a Few Demons More

Jim Butcher’s “Dresden Files”:

- Storm Front

- Fool Moon

- Grave Peril

- Summer Knight

- Death Masks

- Blood Rites

- Dead Beat

- Proven Guilty

- White Night

- Small Favor

- Turn Coat

• ALEXIS

Try these:

Neil Gaiman is an amazing author! Any of his books are good. Try Neverwhere first.

You would also like anything by Micheal Crichton.

Edgar Allen Poe is a really good author. Check out his poems and short stories.

The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray or Poison by Chris Wooding

The Riddles of Epsilon by Christine Morton-Shaw

The Abhorsen Trilogy (Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen) by Garth Nix

Source(s): Enjoy!
  • Shelly

-Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz (the first book in the Alex Rider series). Blurb on the back of the book:

They told him his uncle died in an accident. He wasn't wearing his seatbelt, they said. But when fourteen-year-old Alex finds his uncle's windshield riddled with bullet holes, he knows it was no accident. What he doesn't know yet is that his uncle was killed while on a top-secret mission. But he is about to, and once he does, there is no turning back. Finding himself in the middle of terrorists, Alex must outsmart the people who want him dead. The government has given him the technology, but only he can provide the courage. Should he fail, every child in England will be murdered in cold blood.

The first in the Alex Rider series by British writer Anthony Horowitz, Stormbreaker will have pulses racing from start to finish.

-Watchers I.D by Peter Lerangis. Blurb on the back of the book: Nobody knows who the watchers are. But they are around us. They observe us. They see the things we can't see...

Who is Eve Hardy? Is she the only child of a normal pair of parents? Or is she the offspring of a bizarre experiment that has gone horrible wrong? Eve doesn't know. But if she doesn't find out the truth, it will destroy her. Time is running out...

-Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett. Blurb on the back of the book: On a warm October night in Chicago, three deliveries were made in the same neighbourhood. A plump tangereen moon had just risen over Lake Michigan. The doorbell had been rung at each place, and an envelope propped outside...The same letter went out to all three:

Dear Friend,

I would like your help in identifying a crime that is now centuries old. This crime has wronged one of the world's greatest painters. As those in positions of authority are not brave enough to correct this error, I have taken it upon myself to reveal the truth. I have chosen you because of your discriminating eye, your intelligence, and your ability to think outside of convention...Although you may never meet, the three of you will work together in ways none of us can predict. If you show this to the authorities, you will most certainly be placing your life in danger...

The letter was not signed, and it had no return address.

-Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Here's the blurb so you can see what it's about (also note: It's one of the top 20 books in the bookstores at the moment and one of the top 50 books in 'books you can't put down' list):

About three things I was absolutely positive.

First, Edward was a vampire.

Second, there was a part of him - and I didn't know how dominant that part might be - that thirsted for my blood.

And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.

When Isabella Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks, and meets the mysterious, alluring Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. With his porcelain skin, golden eyes, mesmerizing voice, and supernatural gifts, Edward is both irresistible and impenetrable. Up until now, he has managed to keep his true identity hidden, but Bella is determined to uncover his dark secret.

What Bella doesn't realize is that the closer she gets to him, the more she is putting herself and those around her at risk. And it might be too late to turn back...

Deeply seductive, and irresistibly compelling, the book 'Twilight' is an extraordinary love story that will stay with you long after you have turned the final page.

Those are some of my favourite suspense/mystery/ thriller books. I hope I helped!

Source(s): I've read them all and couldn't put them down! (they are real 'page turners!')

I'm a vampire fan so, anything by Anne Rice is good by me.

If you like medical mysteries I'd definately suggest: Robin Cook.

And, an all time classic "horror" writer for me is: Stephen King.

**Jinn by Matthew Delaney (see site)

you may desire to look into the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich. so a ways there 14 novels interior the sequence and 3 in-between the novels books they shop you on the sting of your seat and you wont be waiting to attend to get the subsequent e book.