How have you helped support someone who lost a house or apartment to a fire?

Have known of two cases in less than a week. In both cases, the individuals involved seem to be in shock (understandably). So what would you do to help them stay focused on day to day life? Or what other suggestions do you have?

Favorite Answer

I would keep reminding them of what they do have and the fact they survived.

I also would do my best to treat them to something I know they enjoy

Allow them to talk about the experience.

suggest to them they write down their thoughts it will help immensely

We had 1200 people lose their homes during the last wildfires that roared through San Diego. Our department of emergency services published a wonderful little guide that had some helpful suggestions. Start by asking the victim what they need and how you can help. In our neighborhood, people needed basics like health and beauty aids. So those of us who still had homes put together baskets of every day items for them. Some people need somewhere to stay because they have no family living nearby. Spare bedrooms can be a welcome night's sleep until coverage limits and solutions for temporary housing are explored. Some people simply needed help sorting through the rubble to find treasured items before crews came in to remove it. Some people worried about looters, so forming a neighborhood watch to keep an eye on their properties brought peace of mind. And, sometimes all anyone needs after disaster strikes is a listening ear, a kind understanding heart and a warm meal with people who care.

Source(s): One of the lucky ones who didn't lose my home in either wildfire

Every situation is different. My situation was somewhat unique in that my apartment burned down when I was on a mission; I was out on a mission for about 5 months (including the two in the MTC) when my place burned entirely to dust. It was, of course, a shock to the system, because you lose so much that is important to you. The worst things to lose are the photos, journals, etc. Other material things weren't a big deal. But, as is the case with most traumatic events, the best (usually) way to move on is not let it take over your life. You have to keep busy and carry on as normally as possible.

You have to deal with the insurance and time replacing things, but they were obviously fortunate to have not been injured (hopefully) - when my place burned down we came home at 9:30 and they were just finishing putting it out. I dealt with the shock by just carrying on like I always did. Of course, I didn't have as much as someone would who was married or lived in a place for a long time, but I think the saying about idle hands works in most situations. If we fill our time with things that make us happy or at least require our focus, we will move on. Especially if we are filling our time and minds with those things of true value.

Anyway, I hope I made a point, even though I feel like I'm rambling. I was fortunate to be surrounded be so many people that stepped in to help out and just get me moving on. Friends are great.

• exotx

If you can, help them out with little things that they may need - meals, use of your computer, a ride here and there. They are devastated but are lucky to even have a friend like you that cares - just be yourself and be there for them.

• Devon

I told my friend that everything you own inside the house can be replaced (somethings could) and when your house is entirely done, you'll almost be gratefull your house did catch on fire. if you have insurance that is.

Source(s): Teh brain!