.....
..... asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

Do you use a saddle pad on your horse or just a saddle cloth? Why is that?

Favorite Answer

I personally do, more to keep sweat etc from getting onto the saddle than anything.

If you're saddle is adjusted to fit your horse specifically, then there is no need to use a cloth. Many people say you still do, but it's akin to wearing extra socks in a fitting pair of shoes! Gets tight, and uncomfortable.

If you plan on using a saddle blanket all the time, and are getting your saddle adjusted, let the fitter know so that he can allow room for the blanket. Again, if your saddle fits perfectly, there's no need to use anything for the sake of comfort- only to keep sweat off an expensive piece of tack!

• ap1188

I ride every single horse with a thin white bady pad and a sheepskin halfpad. Some of the sheepskin pads have gel inserts or wither reliefs, and some are the Mattes pads with the channel down the spine. These pads provide comfort, shock absorption, or therapeutic properties to the horse's back. All of these horses work hard, jumping no less than 3' at shows, and it's our responsibility to make sure they're comfortable, that the saddles are fitted perfectly, and that the pads protect their back. The baby pads are really just to keep the sheepskin clean.

I've known the first link you posted as a saddle pad and the second link you posted as a half-pad. A saddle cloth is what it sounds like... a very thin cloth. Generally used in saddle seat or on icelandics, where usually nothing is used under the saddle... at least it's how I know it.

I use a saddle pad of course when I ride, and I also use this half pad http://www.tackroominc.com/fleeceworks-half-pad-wi...

Pretty self-explanatory as to why I use it.

• PRS

I use saddle pads under my western saddles but I use a saddle cloth under the fleece pad on my English saddle, mostly to protect the white fleece pad. I feel better using more protection, just in case....

A saddle pad is actually not necessary if you ride english, the only reason horseriders use it is because it keeps the saddle in good condition. However, if you ride western you do need one because a western saddle will slip off easy without one.

A saddle cloth is probably a cover to keep dust off of it if that is the correct term for what you mean.

I wouldn't go to a horse store to get one. You could most likely find a new one on an ebay store for 200% less than in a tack store.

It depends on your horse, I use a thick saddle cloth in the winter (light in summer) and a wither pad because my saddle pinches my horse's withers otherwise.

I use a thick saddle cloth, gel pad, and one of those white fleece saddle pads. Oh, and a baby pad for underneath my thick saddle cloth to keep it clean.

Why? Because I like to...?

most people usually use a saddle pad...it helps their back..and i would suggest a gel pad also to abbsorb the shock...the cloth is just to thinn...i wouldnt suggest thata at all...its better for the horse and the saddle to use a pad...hope i helped!!

My appendix mare has high withers so I like to make sure she has good padding.

I use a gel pad, saddle blanket and saddle pad.